Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Landen DSO DCM

John Beech

Hi

I am currently researching the officers and men of the original 1914 draft of the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers who landed in France on 14th August 1914. Arthur Landen DCM was the Quartermaster and a Honorary Lieutenant and he appears to have had quite an interesting career. He was born 8th September 1869 and he appears to have enlisted sometime in early/mid 1890's as he sailed to the war in South Africa in November 1899 with the 2nd Battalion with the rank of Colour Sergeant. He was MID in March 1900 and September 1901and awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal in November 1900. He was promoted to Quartermaster and Honorary Lieutenant in the 1st Battalion on 16th March 1901 and promoted to Honorary Captain on 16th March 1911. He was MID for a third time in June 1915 and a fourth time in May 1917. Sometime between these dates he became a Honorary Major. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in June 1917 and in October 1917 was seconded to the RFC, initially as an Equipment Officer 3rd Class retaining his rank of Quartermaster and Honorary Major. Five days later he was promoted to Equipment Officer Second Class with the rank of temporary Lieutenant. Three weeks after that, he was promoted again to Equipment Officer 1st Class with the temporary rank of Captain. In April 1918, he was seconded to the newly created Royal Air Force with his rank now listed as Quartermaster and Major. He rejoined the Northumberland Fusiliers on 12th April 1919, upon the completion of his secondment, retaining his rank of Quartermaster and Major. He was appointed Lieutenant Colonel 3rd June 1919 and in November 1919 became Quartermaster at the Royal Hospital, Chelsea retaining his rank of Quartermaster and Lieutenant Colonel. He appears to have retired in 1924 and died in 1942.

What I would like to know is if anyone can supply citations for his DSO and DCM. The London Gazette entries for both awards merely indicate the awards. The DSO appears to have been awarded in the King's Birthday Honours in June 1917, so there may not be a citation. According to a Boer War website, the DCM was awarded for the action at Stormberg on 10th December 1899, but this also does not show a citation. I have his RAF service records from the National Archives but these do not include the citations and I cannot find his army records on the online search

Thanks

Hello John, there is an ongoing link for the DSO Citations here:-

John,

As member Kitchener's Bugle suggested, I checked the D.S.O. recipient's book entry for A. Landen, and he only has the usual entry. Unfortunately, so few recipients had their D.S.O. Citation published in the book of recipients.

Here is his entry :-

LANDEN, A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 4.6.1917, Qr.-Mr. and Hon. Major, North'd Fusiliers.

Here also, is his London Gazette entry :-

London Gazette, 4 June 1917.

War Office, 4 June, 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field.

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order...........

LANDEN, Arthur, Quartermaster and Honorary Major, Northumberland Fusiliers.

Regards,

LF

Another useful source is Debretts – my copy for 1919 under Companionage page 1522 reads -

LANDEN Major Arthur DSO; B.1869; has been Quarter-Master and Hon. Major Northumberland Fusiliers; is an Equipment Officer; served with the Ashanti Expedition 1895-96 Star, with the Nile Expedition 1898 ( medal, Egyptian medal), during South African War 1899-1902 (despatches, Queen’s medal with 3 clasps, Kings Medal 2 clasps), and during the European War 1915-17 (despatches, DSO); CR DSO 1917.

His DCM is for the South African War 1899-1902 as confirmed by his entry in War Services of Officers of the Army April 1920 page 957 which includes the following for WW1 -

1914-9 – Attd R.F.C. 23 Oct 17 to 31 Mar 18. Afterwards with R.A.F. From1 Apr 18. France and Belgium 13 Aug 14 to 1 Jun 17 and 23 Oct 17 to 15 Nov 17. Despatches L.G. 22 Jun 15, 15 Jun 16 and 22 May 17. Granted hon rank of Major. Promd. Lt. Col. 1914 Star. DSO.

Gents

Many thanks for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to add to the information I have on this officer