Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kindle WW1 bargain books

Dawson

I've just been browsing the Kindle book store, and noticed a couple of bargains relating to the war.

Today I've downloaded The Salford Pals book by Michael Steadmam for 99p

Also Martin Middlebrooks Somme Battlefields and Paul Read's Walking Arras and the Somme are only 4 quid or so.

Having lots of photos, they are best viewed on an iPad or Kindle Fire.

Ian.

I also downloaded Michael Steadman's 'Salford Pals' book to my Kindle for 99p and it made great reading on my balcony, early evening, on my last holiday.

Dave

There is quite a lot of stuff at good prices at the moment; as well as those above, some of the Holts guides, and Jack Sheldon's books

• 5 months later...

Just noticed "The Lion and the Eagle: Anglo German Naval confrontation in the Imperial Age" is currently 77p. The paperback is £20.

For a book that has been compared favourably with Massie's "Dreadnought" that has got to be a steal

David

I have found that very often, it is better to go to Gutenburg Project, reasearch the books on that site, and then find the books with the Kindle search and download them.

These books are all free. Not all that is on the Gutenburg Project is available via the Kindle, but most are, and looking at the website is quicker and easier than looking at the Kindle (and anything not on Kindle can be downloaded to a PC, etc).

The War Diary of the Master of Belhaven is available for £3.08 as a Kindle version. I haven't looked to see if it's a Project Gutenburg freebie.

Also 'Victory 1918' by Alan Palmer is available as a free Kindle download. Never read it, so I can't say if it's good, bad or indifferent, but others of his books have been good.

• 2 weeks later...

Sepoys in the Trenches, by Gordon Corrigan is a free Kindle download at the moment

"Her Privates We" available at 99p at the moment, as is Richard Van Emden's "Prisoners of the Kaiser"

There is a free version of 'The Middle Parts of Fortune' also available at the moment, and what appears to be a more up-market version for £1.99.

Thanks Paul - the free one has very bad formatting on my Kindle, and the £1.99 one has maps and illustrations - so you pay your money and take your choice!

Not to crow, but the £1.99 was itself free earlier this week when I downloaded it. But £1.99 is still good value.

• 2 months later...

Folks

Sorry if these have been noted already but A J P Taylor's 'War by Timetable' and Paul Ham's '1913' both on for £1.99 at the moment

David

• 5 months later...

"Prisoners of the Kaiser" by Richard van Emden still available (or available again) for Kindle at £0.99.

"Prisoners of the Kaiser" by Richard van Emden still available (or available again) for Kindle at £0.99.

Got it. Thanks.

Hazel C.

New on Gutenberg Books, SIXTY SQUADRON R.A.F, Written 1920 by Group Captain A.J.L. Scott. Nice little book complete with Appendix's and Index.

Officers who served with 60 Squadron,casualties dated etc.

John.