Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. John Blair, 8th Durham L.I.

kenmorrison

I'm trying to find the Medal Index Card for Lt, John Blair, 8th Durham Light Infantry. He died 12 October 1918 and is buried in Haringhe Military Cemetery in Belgium.

He is listed in the Edinburgh University Roll of the Fallen as having served as a Private in the 8th, 2/8th and 20th DLI from March 1915 and was a 2nd Lt. in November 1915; a temp Captain in May 1916 and a Lt. in October 1918.

I haven't been able to confirm any of this service history - any help would be welcome, please.

Ken

Lt. J. Blair is listed in the roll of Honour of Officers in "The History of the locally raised 20th (Service) Battalion Durham light Infantry" by Lieut - Col. K.J.W. Leather C.B.E. No information is recorded in this volume however about his death. In John Sheens book "Wearside Battalion" he is again listed as serving with the 20th D.L.I. and being wounded on 02/10/1918.

There is a service file at the National Archives for a 2/Lt.J Blair under reference WO374/6967.

Hi,

He is recorded in the 20/DLI war diary as being wounded by shellfire on 2/10/18, along with LT Atkinson and four ORs.

regards

john