Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Certificate of Transfer to Reserve from 14th Leicesters to Sherwood Fo

tootiebeauty

Hi,

I have Grandad's Certificate of transfer to reserve sadly we have no other service records available as I know of.

Edward Robert Greensmith 59858 PTE.

its says Unit and Regiment or Corps from which transferred to reserve 14th Leicesters

Enlisted on the 10th August 1917 for Sherwood Foresters

Medals and decorations awarded during present engagement authorised prior to Novemeber 11th 1918 NIL.

It also states he HAS served overseas on active service

he was transferred to Army Reserve on 1/3/1919

Q1] Does anyone have any information RE: The 14th Leicesters in respect of where they served.

Q2] The date of August 10th 1917 would this be his joining up date or the date he transferred to the Sherwood foresters? [he was born in 1899]

Q3] It doesn't state which battalion of the Sherwood Foresters how would I find this information?

Thankyou

Q1] Does anyone have any information RE: The 14th Leicesters in respect of where they served.

http://www.1914-1918.net/leicesters.htm

Q2] The date of August 10th 1917 would this be his joining up date or the date he transferred to the Sherwood foresters? [he was born in 1899]

This should be the date he originally enlisted (he would have been conscripted).

Craig

Q3] It doesn't state which battalion of the Sherwood Foresters how would I find this information?

Very difficult to determine this without a service record for him .

Craig

MIC online at ancestry - no overseas service with Notts & Derby Rgt. I've looked at the service records for 2 similar numbers within the same range (598**) both served with the 14th Leicesters and both had belonged to 53rd (Young Soldiers Battalion) Leicestershire Rgt. and both went overseas at the end of July 1918. I suspect that Edward followed a similar route through the 53rd (Young Soldier Battalion) of the Notts & Derby Rgt. The transfer to the 14th Leicesters may have been due to the manpower needed in that particular battalion

jon

Firstly Thank you very much for your replies, I am a little confused, I had already checked the 1914-1918 web data and it states the 14th Battalion was formed June 1918 but he joined 10/08/17, so it is likely he was in a different Battalion with the Leicestershire Regt and as you say transferred into the 14th. Is it likely his transfer to the Sherwood Foresters was to the reserves on or prior to Demob? The document I am taking this information from is his Demobilization certificate. I am still trying to work my way around the Forums and information on this website, I don't seem to be able to post photos on the forum but I will scan his document and post into my Gallery. [as are pictures of E R Greensmith.]

Once again Thanks for the information it is very helpful

He enlisted with the Notts & Derby on 10th August 1917 and transferred to the 14th Bn Leicesters probably on the formation of the battalion to make up the numbers to proceed overseas.

I think there's a 250kb limit on images posted on the forum

Jon

Thank you Jon its making sense now I look at it again.. Duh! also having looked at his photos again he clearly joined the Notts& Derby 1st..