Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAptain Thomas William Isac Gardiner, RAVC

Jon lee

Would someone be kind enough to try and identify the Captain Gardiner, RAVC attached to the Mysore Imperial service Lancers as Veterinary Surgeon in Palestine in 1918. (No initials given in the history of the 15th Imperial service brigade.)

Many many thanks

Jon

Could this be him from POW records on Ancestry

W C Gardiner Capt

Palestine/5th Norfolk

Missing 2nd Nov 1917

Repatriated 16th Dec 1918.

cant find any further info re forenames

Eddie

Brilliant. thanks guys. Yup, thanks to you Jon, i've now found that TWJ Gardiner became a temp Captain in the AVC in Oct 1914.

Unfortunately no TWJ Gardiner ever seems to have existed on this planet according to FMP, Ancestry, Genes, and family search!! Still, I'll get there via the RCVS though I'll have to pay and wait!

Thanks everyone for looking. Any additional information will be much appreciated.

Jon

Just for completion, even though the RCVS Trust have no record of him, the excellent FIBIS (Families in British India) site confirms that TWJ Gardiner was the Thomas William Gardiner who died in Poona on 17th June 1922. That fits very well with a man serving with the Mysore Lancers. Thanks for all your help to get there.

For further completion thanks to Matthew B

LG 11 November 1914, p9233

Army Veterinary Service

Army Veterinary Corps - Thomas William Isac Gardiner to be temporary Captain. Date 30th October 1914

and thanks to FIBIS

Births, Times of India 9th October 1895

September 25th at Hyderabad, Deccan the wife of Tom Gardiner Vety, Surgeon Hyderabad Imperial Service Troops of a daughter

FIBIS also give his marriage in 1891. Therefore this Tom can not be say his father but must be him.

So we've found him!

Have found 3 children now - a nameless daughter (above), a son William John Stacey Gardiner (1893-1918) and son Arthur Mitchell Gardiner (b. Dharwar 1892. Survived the war. An accountant before becoming a Sgt in 2nd Royal West Kents attached to S&T Corps in Karachi.His service papers mention a brother S in Bombay as next of kin)

The nameless daughter was Kathleen Nell Gardiner who married Arthur Dickson (b.1893) in Bombay in 1919. He was 6th son of Captain John Aaron Dickson (b.1839 or 1846) of the Commissariat who had married Rebecca Foster in Bangalore in 1870. (I can only find one sibling - John Collingwood Dickson b. 1897) (A Kathleen N Dickson m. Sadler in 1941 but may not be her).

Unfortunately, with no children found for Kathleen and Arthur Dickson, nor Arthur Mitchell Gardiner, nor even John Aaron Dickson & John Collingwood Dickson, I guess the trail has come to an end. Still, it was worth a shot.

I won't bore you all with this anymore, but many thanks to everyone who had a look on my behalf.

I will let you know if it produces a photo of Maynard!

• spof changed the title to CAptain Thomas William Isac Gardiner, RAVC