The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unusual commemorative scroll

keithjk

I recently came across this scroll, and am wondering whether anyone can tell me more about it. I'm guessing that it was sold, as a blank, by either a newspaper or a magazine, and then personalised by the buyer. The second photo shows the details at the centre, probably cut from a copy of the cemetery register. And the cemetery name has certainly been added by hand.

An interesting aside are the photos of the memorials, taken before trees had a chance to partially mask them. The Australian memorial (third photo) is the original on Mont St. Quentin, just north of Peronne, It shows an Australian soldier bayonetting the German eagle. Needless to say, the Germans removed the statue during WW2, but left the plinth intact. A new statue has since been erected on the plinth, as in the fourth photo (courtesy of Google Earth).

Keith

post-90858-0-07728300-1380480235_thumb.j

post-90858-0-02006100-1380480289_thumb.j

post-90858-0-95286000-1380480344_thumb.j

post-90858-0-87234500-1380480397_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some of these at Europeana last year - I think there may be different memorials illustrated on some other scrolls. You can view a couple at http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/en/explore search for 'scroll'.

I don't know where they originated but presumably a commercial enterprise; and yes the inserts do look like entries in the grave registers.

MC

The poor lad had only been in France 5 weeks.

The scroll must have been produced some years after he was killed. The Thiepval Memorial wasn't opened until 1932.

There have been at least two discussions about these scrolls:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136554#entry1424660

see post #14

And:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190821#entry1866173

Posts # 9 and # 16.

I have the form my grandmother had from the producers of this scroll.

I can’t work out how to upload the picture!

Kath.

I was given one of these along with the two of the three medals the soldier was entitled to plus the memorial scroll that came with his death plaque many years ago, they were all being thrown out and somebody suggested I may like them. The scroll depicted was enclosed in a very narrow cardboard tube, black and greasy with age as was his other scroll. I have framed both of these items and am looking at the large one as we speak. The image at the bottom on mine is of the Menin Gate as opposed to the Thiepval Memorial. Same type of insert stuck across the centre. Ralph.

Thanks for the link Mike. There is a photo of another one of these scrolls. on page 98 of 'The Somme Then and Now' by the late John Giles, but it is one of the few illustrations in that book that is unfortunately not annotated.

Keith

I also have a scroll the same as mentioned but to a soldier buried at Cement House it also came in a long thin tube. It was in a group I purchased along with the soldiers medals, His standard scroll and King's letter.

Unfortunately I do not know who printed them but over the years I have seen a few all with the cemetery mentioned and with an almost 'newspaper type clipping' attached as in the one shown earlier in the thread.

Dave

Keith, pm your email and I will send you the picture of the form - perhaps you can upload it to the Forum!

Kath.

Fascinating ! Designed to cause a guilt-trip it seems. I suppose the biggest question is how the heck did they get addresses to send these scrolls to ? I noticed today that we have other examples in our archives at Soldiers of Oxfordshire.

Mike

Fascinating ! Designed to cause a guilt-trip it seems. I suppose the biggest question is how the heck did they get addresses to send these scrolls to ? I noticed today that we have other examples in our archives at Soldiers of Oxfordshire.

Mike

They probably obtained the addresses from the IWGC (which is where the cut-outs from the registers came from). And, even in the 30s, I suppose 3/6d wasn't a vast amount of money. I wonder how many people actually sent the cash off ? (A bit like charity Christmas cards nowadays !)

Keith