Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergt-Maj Claude Middleton Warren

Phil Wood

A bit of a long shot I suspect...

According to an obituary Sgt-Maj C M Warren died of pnuemonia following the flu at Tidworth Camp in 1918. His death is registered Q4 1918 - in Andover RD, close to Tidworth, but not quite right?

He has no medal card and I suspect he was unfit for overseas service. His obit states that he had been in charge of a hay-baling squad shortly before his death.

My question is whether it is worth buying a death certificate? If this shows he was a serving soldier, would it be enough on its own to satisfy the CWGC/MoD that he is worthy of commemoration?

Hi Phil

Claude Middleton Warren b 1888 Dewsbury, Yorks. In 1911 he was a Scholar. His father was a Headmaster. Trees on Ancestry don't have any more info.

Regards Barry

I can only find one C M Warren on the MIC file for a L/Cpl 3413 9th London Regt enlisted 9.11 14 disch. sick 8 2 16 List T/ P 381 S W. Badge No 67264 DID NOT SERVE OVERSEAS

Edited by The Inspector

Thanks for the efforts.

It's the same chap on the Waltham St Lawrence memorial, born in Yorkshire (bapt in Batley Carr on 25 Nov 1888) etc. Francis James was his younger brother. He may have been the discharged L/Cpl - not sure how one could tell. His background is not the problem, it's proving he served and qualifies for CWGC commemoration.

He is buried at Waltham St Lawrence - the burial register records that he died at the military hospital at S Tidworth - he was buried 31 Oct 1918, His death is registered in the Andover registration district (Q4 1918), which includes South Tidworth. His obituary (in the Newbury Grammar School magazine) states that he died while still serving,. He is on the school war memorial, and the one at Waltham.

He is not one of the three CWGC casualties in Waltham St Lawrence churchyard - so it is pretty clear that he is not recorded by the CWGC.

I'm pretty convinced that this chap should be on the CWGC roll of honour, but is there enough evidence to get him accepted?

Phil

If the DC shows that he was serving at the time of his death then it will be automatic acceptance

Chris

Good news Chris - so it's all down to what got written on the DC.

I'll order a copy and see if we strike lucky.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

The DC has arrived. Occupation is given as Staff-Sergeant, Army Service Corps.Informant is Lt Col Goddard, RAMC.

It looks like this one is a runner.

I will get a copy of the burial register on my next trip to the record office and send it all off to IFTC.

Nice one Phil

• 2 months later...

Sadly I am advised that this case will not be prossessed as I cannot provide documentary proof that the man served - just the death certificate, obituary, burial register entry - which give his rank and unit.

Most records were destroyed in WW2, he didn't go overseas so has no medals - can anyone think of a source that could find this chap's service number?

Phil

There may be a chance but Im awaiting to hear from one of my contacts

Chris

Hello Phil,

Are you familier with the Soldier's Effects records?

Soldier’s Effects Records

The National Army Museum holds an extensive set of records relating to monies paid to the named relatives of deceased soldiers and those discharged insane. They do not give details of personal possessions of dead personnel. These are not currently available in the TSC (Templer Study Centre), but a transcript is available for a charge of £10.25 from the Department of Archives, Photographs, Film and Sound. The charge is levied as they are stored off site from the main museum.

These records include the Regiment, Rank & Number.

If you decide to go down this route they advise phoning first.

The ledgers are fragile and weigh several metric tonnes. As a consequence they are held in off-site storage. For researchers wanting transcripts and images of the records, there is a fee of £10.25 per search to cover the Museum’s costs.

If you would like Museum staff to undertake research into a soldier's effects record, please contact the Templer Study Centre by email at tsc@nam.ac.uk, or telephone us on 020 7730 0717.

National Army Museum website:

I have ordered two copies of these records in the past and you do sometimes have to be patient and wait for the next time a member of staff is able to visit the off-site storage facility.

CGM

Hello Phil,
Are you familier with the Soldier's Effects records?

In a word - no.

Very interesting - thanks for bringing them to my attention - I will contact them and see if there is any hope.

It's a shame the cost is so high - these could be invaluable but with over 300 names that I am researching there is no way I could justify the expense. Perhaps it is time to do some fundraising!

Phil,

Based on what has been said, I would suspect that he was part of the "Forage" section of the ASC. I am curious to learn what his service number is. There is probably a "F" prefix. If he died on active service, would there be memorial plaque?

All the best,

Gary

Gary - he is on a couple of war memorials, but I don't know of any memorial plaque. There is also his grave at Waltham St Lawrence, which I haven't yet visited - that may have a stone.