Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian Bayonet for Fusil Mle 1889

calibre792x57.y

• 2 weeks later...

Right, taken the photos now! So my 1889 which came in a Civil Guard scabbard. Marked to the 2nd Regiment of Karabiniers. Has the N in a box twice on the crosspiece, and a V in a box on the press stud - believed to indicate parts supplied by FN. Blade is JD (with a crown?), is this an inspection or manufacturers mark?

Seems to have been used as a hammer for knocking in nails - definitely period damage caused when putting up equipment hangers in a dugout!!!

It also came with a frog - will post below.

Cheers,

Tony

post-22051-0-15060300-1414441776_thumb.j

post-22051-0-24077200-1414441796_thumb.j

post-22051-0-43847300-1414441826_thumb.j

post-22051-0-79471800-1414441851_thumb.j

post-22051-0-62280400-1414441862_thumb.j

post-22051-0-11166000-1414441890_thumb.j

post-22051-0-71376700-1414441909_thumb.j

post-22051-0-14856200-1414441936_thumb.j

The frog. I think that this is the correct 1889 one. Interesting mark on the back. The one on Old Smithy is also similarly marked. It is an L plus 5 numbers. The rifles have 4 numbers, so is this a service number?

Cheers,

Tony

post-22051-0-97717600-1414442304_thumb.j

post-22051-0-62462400-1414442313_thumb.j

post-22051-0-63664500-1414442326_thumb.j

Lovely bayonet Tony, thanks for posting photos. The dints are a plus in my view - shows some good period use!

Interesting to see two out of three bayonets on this thread marked "R" (Karabiniers) as well. Looking forward to seeing the frog too.

Cheers, J

It is indeed nice - the frog also! But I have no idea as to the meaning of the serial number or whatever on the latter. I also have kept an eye open for one of these - just to complete the basic set of WW1-used bayonets, but no luck so far... What is also so nice about these ones, though, is to see the influence of the S 71/84 - the granddaddy of all knife bayonets!

• 2 years later...

Whilst Julian is sorting out his Greek bayonets I thought I would bring this thread back to post a couple of photos of a bayonet I purchased some time ago and to see if anyone has any more information to add.  My example is a Model 1889 Garde Civique bayonet.  For those interested this is a good website to find out something about the Garde Civique: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garde_Civique

Turning to my example, the left crossguard and scabbard frog stud are marked T 782.  I believe this is the Garde Civique marking, the T indicating the town to which the unit was attached. The right crossguard is marked 229 C and this is probably the rifle number.  Between the 2 and 9 of the rifle number there is a boxed N, repeated on the crossguard finial, and I think these are the inspector's marks.  The blade is marked with a crowned JA which is probably the maker's mark indicating manufacture by Jules Ancion & Cie., Liege.  There is a tiny square stamp on the top of the blade next to the crossguard but it is so small it is not possible to make it out.

The blade on my bayonet is in excellent condition with some staining only. It appears never to have been sharpened and is 298mm long.  However, the edges of the blade leading to the point are flat and not the least sharp and there is no trace of any sharpening leading to the point and I wonder if the point has been damaged and ground or whether the bayonet left the factory as it is?

Does anyone know what became of the Garde Civique bayonets after the Garde was dissolved on 13.10.14.  In this respect I note from the above website that King Albert was, in Oct. 1918, met by a saluting veteran of the Garde in full uniform and equipment including his rifle.

Regards,

Michael.   

DSC03384.JPG

DSC03390.JPG

DSC03391.JPG

3 hours ago, Michael Haselgrove said:

... Turning to my example, the left crossguard and scabbard frog stud are marked T 782.  I believe this is the Garde Civique marking, the T indicating the town to which the unit was attached. The right crossguard is marked 229 C and this is probably the rifle number. ... Does anyone know what became of the Garde Civique bayonets after the Garde was dissolved on 13.10.14. ...

Ooof! This is a difficult one Michael! But fool's rush in, and all that...!!!

There is an interesting Felmish site on these at: http://depatrouilleurs.be/bewapening.html

My Flemish is, well, just above zero, but they show an example of a "De M1889 bajonet (Burgerwacht)", with the twin opposed markings as yours, and comment re: the T-marking on the left-hand side: "Many 'Burgerwacht' [= Garde Civique] bayonets are marked with a "T" serial".

I'll see if I can find out more but don't have high hopes as yet! On the other hand, I am certain that I have seen another Belgian-based website on these markings... 

Best wishes for the researching!

Julian

I'm posting these markings from a Belgian Terssen (yatahgan-style) bayonet, because of (1) similarity of crown/HD to 'crowned JD maker's mark', see posts #3 & 12; (2) the curious mix of embossed & stamped markings, see post #9.

Left ricasso: "crown over HD" (embossed) and "1869" (stamped).

Right ricasso: shows something indecipherable (mortar & pestle ???) in a diamond (embossed) and a "3"(stamped).
Pommel: shows "P" (embossed) and "M" (stamped), each in a circle, one on each side of the release knob. Also, "S" (stamped) on the 'beak'.

The ball on the quillon finial shows "P" (embossed) in a diamond.
Serial #(?): 2335 (stamped) in the mortise slot. Also shows an upside down "EN" (stamped).

Regards,

JMB

P.S. Could this bayonet possibly have seen service in the GW, say with a reserve unit etc ?

Edit: Probably not, due to absence of regimental markings on cross-guard.

Edited by JMB1943
Addtl. info.

Julian,

Thanks very much for your above post - the site is interesting and I will work my way through it as and when time permits.

Michael.