Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13138 Colour Sergeant A. Cumming, Royal Scots

RM1966

Dear forum members,

I am looking for any extra information to:

13138 Colour Sergeant A. Cumming, Royal Scots

Where was he born, where did he die ? Married, children ?

Thsi is what I already got :

Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal whilst serving with the 11th Battalion, Royal Scots. (Lothian Regiment). For conspicuous gallantry on the 25th September 1915. He displayed the greatest bravery and powers of leadership in controlling and leading his men under very heavy fire in the attack on Pekin Trench, and in the advance on that position.’ Andrew Cumming entered France on 11th May 1915, served with the 11th Battalion, Royal Scots. Awarded the D.C.M. in the London Gazette 16th November 1915. Also entitled to a 1914-15 Star and Victory Medal

Thanks in advance !

Ronald

I had a check and the picture you requested is of Andrew Cumming, I can't give anymore personal information other than he came from Dunfermline in Fife, the 1911 Census would throw up more information perhaps.

If you are on Twitter (@Newbattleatwar) I did a series of tweets this week about Battle of Loos this week which covered the action at Pekin Trench.

John

post-12171-0-97111500-1380458631_thumb.j

Hello John,

thank you very much for this photo !

Forummembers:

Any other additional information is appreciated !

Ronald

The Evening Telegraph (Newspapers online) for Monday 6 December 1915 says that he had arrived home has another photo. It also has a summary of the reason for the award. It annoyingly does not mention a family.

Roger.

I am not sure if this will be any good. I accessed through Findmypast.

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/records/newspapers/view/BL/0000563/19151206/101/0004?&firstName=&lastName=Cumming&county=ALL&keywords=DCM+Dunfermline&fromYear=1915&toYear=1920&includeVariants=true&pageNumber=1

However I tried the same 3 keywords: Cumming, DCM, Dunfermline; into the all keywords box of the advanced search on the Newspaper Arhive site and it came up with the same page at the top of the list.

Roger.

No problem, what sparked your interest in Andrew?

Ronald

This is all based on a bit of guesswork and the assumption that Andrew Cumming lived in Dunfermline during 1911. Only two men of that name are recorded on the 1911 Census. One was over 40 years old and the other was 23 year old Andrew Cumming who was a law clerk and stayed 91 Priory Terrace Dunfermline with his mother Lucy and siblings Hugh (35), George (27) and Christina (19). A granddaughter Lucy Robertson (7) also stayed at the same address.

IF this is the Andrew Cumming you are looking for, he married Agnes Davidson Bruce on 16 February 1921. He was aged 33 and still worked as a law clerk. She sadly died just over 2 months later.

All information via Scotlands People.

Douglas

John: I recently purchased. his BWM. With the medal was the information I mentioned in my question. Hence my interest in Andrew.

Roger. I haven't got access to Findmypast. Can you please tell me what information The Evening Telegraph gives ?

Douglas: thank you for your help ! is there any way to find out if this is the right chap ?

Cheers,

Ronald

Ronald

That is the difficult bit. Unless we can find an obituary or some other line of information to confirm that this Andrew Cumming won the DCM, it might be impossible to prove or disprove.

Douglas

Dear members,

A very helpfull lady from the Dunfermline library send me the following.

So Douglas I think it is the right man.

post-98405-0-39507500-1381162132_thumb.j

post-98405-0-22474700-1381162469_thumb.j

Ronald

It certainly looks like you have identified Andrew Cumming. As far as I know, the Dunfermline Press still survives so if you want to take the story further, it may be worth getting in touch with the paper. He may still have relatives in the area.

Douglas