Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sevenoaks War Memorial

Hello

I am leading a project to research the men named on the Sevenoaks War Memorial in Kent. Very keen to hear from anyone undertaking similar research or with a connection to any of the men who are listed here: http://bit.ly/12IFTFq

You can also follow us on twitter @7oaksmemorial

Many thanks

Matt

• 1 month later...

Hi Matt

I am a part of the Neilston war memorial research team, We have a team of 4 researching the names for a new build memorial in Neilston East Renfrewshire Scotland.

Cheers

Matt D

Hello Matt,

One of the men mentioned on the link you gave, was a George Broad, Royal West Kent Regiment. Are you sure this doesn't refer to a George Alfred Broad EAST Kent Regiment? It's just that by coincidence yesterday an old school friend of mine posted some pictures on Facebook of the Wilimington Memorial, with the name George Alfred Broad, saying that this man was his Great great great grandfather. Wilmington is not a million miles away from your memorial either.

In addition, I cant find any commemoration for a George Broad, Royal West Kent Regiment, on the Common Wealth War Graves website.

Regards,

Chris

Not a specifically centenary project so I will move it to the appropriate place.

Keith Roberts

Matt

Looking at a photograph of the names on the excellent 'Kent Fallen' website (http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/SEVENOAKS.pdf) - I think that there may possibly be a typo on the Memorial with a letter 'G' shown for the initial where it could be a 'C' as there was a Lance Corporal G/1601 Charles Nelson Broad of the 7th Battalion, The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment who was killed-in-action on the 13th July 1917 in France & Flanders. L/Cpl Broad is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial (Panel 11C)

Peter,

I see what you mean. And don't the Cs and Gs look quite similar in some cases!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone. I think I've now pinned George down as George William Broad of Staplehurst, Kent. The cwgc list him as being in the machine gun corps. While this is true, his medal roll cards shows that regiment and the West Kents, which is what he is listed under on the memorial.

Thre are one or two others where I just can't find their link to Sevenoaks, beyond perhaps enlistment.

There are about six other names on the memorial that aren't listed with any regiment or service. I've solved the mystery of four of them but grateful if anyone knows anything about Walter Davies or D Smith!

Guest nancyclark121

Hi again Matt, Yes do think this is him indeed. We had no idea re the link to Sevenoaks. This was quite unexpected as he is showing up on the memorial on Linton Hill - photos on the family page of Ancestry:

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/21268073/person/1256453888?addnew=1&msg=ne&et=military

its open access, so should be accessible, although we have little documentation on him.

Nancy

• 1 year later...

The book, Sevenoaks War Memorial The Men Remembered, is now available, published by Amberley Books and can be bought direct from me or from usual stockists. All proceeds will be donated to forces charities.