Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Senior Wireless Operator John Edward Ball

PaulC78

Hi folks, I found this man's grave at Duke Street Cemetery in Southport and he doesn't appear to be listed in the CWGC database. Details from the headstone are:

John Edward Ball

Senior Wireless Operator

Son of George Ball (died 1918) and Rose Hannah Hall

Died 28 March 1919

Age 19

He is named on Southport war memorial with the Royal Navy casualties. From the Southport Visiter, 5 April 1919:

SENIOR WIRELESS OPERATOR J. E. BALL DEATH FROM MALARIA.

By the death of Senior Wireless Operator John Edward Ball, son of Mrs. Ball, of 198, Portland-street, Southport, a promsing career has been cut short. He was 19 years of age, and had for the past two years held a post as senior wireless operator. He had just completed six months' service in India and West Africa, and only arrived home, suffering from malignant malaria, a few days before his death, which occurred on Saturday last. Prior to entering the wireless service, deceased was employed at the Borough Collector's Office, Corporation-street.

The death was registered during the first quarter of 1919 in Ormskirk district. Additional info from the census records:

1901 Census: John Edward Ball (age 1, born at Southport), living at 198 Portland Street, Southport, with father George (29, slater & plasterer), mother Rose H (26) and brother George H (3)

1911 Census: John E Ball (age 11, born at Southport), living at 198 Portland Street, Southport, with father George (39, slater & plasterer), mother Rose H (35) and siblings George H (13), Charles A (9) and Doris (6)

Can anyone else find any information about this man? I've looked on the National Archives website but can't find a service record. Presumably he would meet the criteria if he contracted malaria while on active service, as the newspaper report suggests?

post-89772-0-43551900-1380373864_thumb.j

post-89772-0-12825800-1380373873_thumb.j

post-89772-0-00075400-1380373879_thumb.j

There is a John Edward Ball in the Merchant Navy. Born 1899, Southport.

I looked it put on the "National Archives" website which then redirects you to the "Find my Past" website. Sorry, that`s as far as I got, you have to pay to view the records.

Good luck. Joe.

Thanks Joe, I managed to find it. The record has a photo attached to it which looks like the same man to me. Presumably he is listed under Royal Navy on Southport war memorial by mistake?

post-89772-0-53101800-1380567546_thumb.j

Hi Paul,

If you start a new post in the Navy section or, and the uniform section and include the info that you have already found, I`m sure that an expert will be along to give you a little more help. The picture in your first post of John Ball, does look more like Merchant Navy than Royal Navy to my untrained eye.

All the best. Joe.