Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plaque for Hearts players revealed

roughdiamond

Sam

Thanks for posting this. Does the plaque name the Hearts players who died during the war? The reason i ask is that Cpl. Tom Gracie appears on the Haymarket Memorial and also on Everton's Memorial Plaque at Goodison Park, so I regard him as one of mine (although he was much more successful back in Edinburgh). Presumably the plaque tells the story at Tynecastle and the Haymarket Memorial will continue to be the focal point of remembrance?

Pete.

Not sure of the content of the plaque Pete, I do know it shows the photo of the Hearts team of 1914 and is placed where that photo was taken, I'm sure a close up will appear on the net eventually.

Sam

There is a picture of the plaque on The Scotsman's website, but it's impossible to read the text. My avatar is the picture that the plaque is based on.

The Heart of Midlothian Remembrance Sunday service will continue to be at Haymarket. The memorial has recently returned there after being in storage during the construction of Edinburgh's tramline. Incidentally, there are no names on the Haymarket memorial, possibly because it is meant to remember supporters as well as players who died in the war.

There is a picture of the plaque on The Scotsman's website, but it's impossible to read the text. My avatar is the picture that the plaque is based on.

The Heart of Midlothian Remembrance Sunday service will continue to be at Haymarket. The memorial has recently returned there after being in storage during the construction of Edinburgh's tramline. Incidentally, there are no names on the Haymarket memorial, possibly because it is meant to remember supporters as well as players who died in the war.

Gibbo, thanks for the update; I'm afraid I just assumed that it would name the players however it makes huge sense that it would also honour the fans that fell. Appreciated.