Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jscott

Thank you so much. I found the book on line, but have not been able to download it yet. I use a smartphone. I'm working on it though. I remember my wonderful grandpa, he died in 1949, when I was seven, and was bedridden for all the years I remember him. I recall grandma saying he was ill as a result of WW1 injuries, but I don't know how to find out what or when . I do have his original Navy documentation, but there is no mention of injury.He was at Pembroke (Chatham) when it was bombed, but later volunteered for Q boat duty and was on Viola from 23 Oct'17 to12 July'18.Pembroke July '18 to 8 Sep '18, then St George until 7 Aug'19. After that, he was at Pembroke from 8 Aug to 7 Dec'19, and Invalided Chatham 19 Nov'19. Of course there are many ships before that, but I hoped you might be able to point me in the right direction to seek more details. You have already been most kind and I thank you sincerely.

How I wish I had asked him more questions then, but what does a kid know of such things! I do remember some of his stories about Malta and other places. He enlisted in 1899.

Thank you for listening, Horatio.

carole.traynham@gmail.net

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There were several Violas. The surviving vessel had a particularly epic war. Some years ago its bell was recovered from Norway. It has since been loaned to the South Georgia Museum. Have a look at this link http://www.hull.ac.uk/mhsc/FarHorizons/Frames/south_georgia.htm . There are people currently hoping to persuade the Government of South Georgia to hold a service with the bell on board the ship to mark the largely forgotten role that fishermen and armed fishing vessels played in the Great War.