Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thespians in the Liverpool Scottish

JeffJames

Famous actors Basil Rathbone MC, Herbert Marshall, Ronald Colman and Claude Rains from Camberwell. All served in the regiment. Basil Rathbone said he won his MC by becoming a tree - his first acting role!. Of course, his daring gained valuable intelligence. Apparently, all done in daylight. Can any other regiment claim such distinguished actors?

I think you'll find that Ronald Colman, Herbert Marshall and Claud Rains served with the London Scottish, rather than the Liverpool Scottish.

I think you'll find that Ronald Colman, Herbert Marshall and Claud Rains served with the London Scottish, rather than the Liverpool Scottish.

Why aren't you claiming Rathbone?

Well, I know Rathbone won his MC as Scout Officer of the Liverpool Jocks.

I know Colman was wounded at Messines with the London Jocks. The others I got from Google :w00t:

Yes, but he was called up as a Private in the London Scottish, where he presumably picked up his acting skills, before being commissioned into the Liverpool Scottish.

I know this to be an incontrovertible fact, because I researched it thoroughly on Wikipedia for a number of seconds.

There we are then. We rest our case. Or cases.

Mind, there is a great affection between the London and Liverpool Jocks. Mostly caused by the fact, I suspect, that in "my" day (1/51 Highland) the real Jocks in the Black Watch and A&SH Companies looked down on the London Jocks as effete southern wooftahs, with the Liverpool Jocks as a form of half-way-house between effete southern wooftahs and "real sodjers".

the real Jocks in the Black Watch and A&SH Companies looked down on the London Jocks as effete southern wooftahs

Well you would insist on making your own kilts

post-48020-0-56708200-1380292551_thumb.j

As far as I am aware in addition to Basil Rathbone, James Dale ( who later played Dr.Jim Dale in Mrs Dales Diary on the radio ) was the only other professional thespian in the Liverpool Scottish.

P.B.

I did know someone in Liverpool many years ago who claimed to have Basil Rathbones sporran in his collection before it was stolen!!.