Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Officer's Cap Band

Guest 1914YORK

My first post so hopefully not too novice for you all.

We have a painting in which there is an officer depicted with an unusual service dress cap band. We looked through books and google and cannot find it anywhere so I hope you can help. The cap visor has a sinle row of gold oak leaves. The cap band is a dark blue or possibly purple but I think blue. The Cap Badge cannot be made out. The cap is khaki. The painting is 1917 depicting soldier at Liverpool Street station in 1916 and the artist is Richard Jack. A good image of it can be seen at http://www.yorkshiresfavourites.org/paintings/return-to-the-front-victoria-railway-station.html. The officer we are interested in is (obviously) the one in the centre. Any help on him or in fact any of the soldiers would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks 1914YORK

Hi 1914York and welcome to the forum,

I think the most likely is he was an embarkation officer. I do not think you will ever know his official title, but for a complete list you would have to see Army Order 92 of 1916 and various amendments after. For example he may have been "Embarkation Commandant", "Assistant Embarkation Commandant" or "Embarkation Staff officer" etc. etc..

Kevin

Railway Transport Officer (RTO) would be my guess. Thanks btw for drawing attention to this absolutely superb painting, which I'd never heard of.

hello 1914YORK

I have the sense that the officer in question is probably a specific person, not just a "type". He is central to the painting, and stands out in so many ways - he is the only commissioned officer in the scene, and he is quite senior.

Maybe my earlier suggestion about him being a chaplain ain't so good, as the cap badge isn't right.

His cap is the Officers Forage with khaki cover, rather than being an SD cap - the patent braided peak is the giveaway

As Jack was an Academician, may I suggest that you contact the Royal Academy ? They may have some background and history.

If you find out (and I feel sure you will) please come back to the Forum and let us know.

Here's another similar subject, this showing a YMCA hut at a railway station

http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/WarPaintings/atwood1-e.asp

The symbolism of the "Way Out" sign must surely be intentional.

Guest 1914YORK

Dear all

many thanks indeed for your replies. They are all very helpful indeed. The painting will be on display at York Castle Museum in late 2014 and then form 2016 at York Art Gallery. It is a very impressive painting as it is nearly 3 metres wide.

I will return to the forum if I find out more.

1914York

The cap badge looks a bit like the Welsh Guards?

Roger.

• 2 months later...

I may be completely wrong ( probably am ) but I seem to recall seeing a reference to this picture before and something about one of the Irish regiments.

P.B.