Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of 160th (Wearside) Brigade, RFA

rflory

Just received a newly published Royal Artillery unit history that has to rank as one of the best: Idle and Dissolute: The History of the 160th (Wearside) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery by Philip W Adams. The book is 411 pages which are crammed full of information on the brigade and excellent maps and photos. The first 150+ pages (Chapters I through VIII) cover the history of the brigade from 1915 through 1919 with excellent maps and numerous photos. Each of these chapters gives details on the location, services, casualties, awards and war activities of the Brigade and are illustrated by many photos of members (both officers and other ranks) of the brigade. Chapter IX covers the numerous reunions of brigade personnel, again with numerous photos. In terms of data, the best part of the book are the appendices (218 pages) which include annotated nominal rolls of both officers and men; profiles (with numerous photos) of the officers of the brigade and similar profiles of many NCOs and men; a detailed roll of honour; and lists of awards to personnel of the Brigade.

In my opinion this is the way a unit history should be written! Well worth the price (£24.99). For those interested it may be obtained from The Memoir Club, Ltd, Dartmoor Suite, The Courtyard, Arya House, Langley Park, Durham DH7 9XE (0191-373-1739).

Regards, Dick Flory

Sounds very interesting. Makes my ongoing research into 311th Brigade RFA seem very amateurish!

Roger

• 5 years later...

Hello Dick, thanks for the post. My grandfather George Johnston Thomson was born near Edinburgh but worked as a paper maker in Wearside either side of WW1. Based on a studio photograph it looks like he was in the Royal Field Artillery during the war, so could well have been in the Wearside brigade. If you have a moment could you please check to see if there is there any documentary evidence in the book to support this? If so I will buy it for myself!

The book has a nominal roll of of 2301 men who served with the 160th. There is no G J Thomson I am afraid, [or alternative spellings]. I also cannot see a likely G J Thomson elsewhere - a few George Thomsons in artillery. Does the studio photo have a location?