Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM Clip Unknown Scottish Regiment

Skipman

I would venture Black Watch as the kilt is Government tartan and the Glengarry is plain. I seem to recall a view like this in "I Was There" I'll check my copies.

Aye

Malcolm

IWM.....you might get a better description if you were to PAY the IWM for information Mike.

All OUR records are a money making machine for the establishment.....

regards

Tom

tom, you can buy quite a lot from the IWM, but it is not cheap. some of the audio reels are £10.. + VAT (£12.00) but digitisation costs money. Not sure how Australia manage to make all their material available for free? :whistle:

Mike

What about the Bundesarchiv videos and photos Mike, they are downloadable from the net free using a popular media program that costs nothing.

Anyone who had an ancestor who fought for this country is charged to see his records, there are some that are free but that means spending pounds on travelling to Kew to view them for those that live outside (Britain HQ)....London.

regards

Tom

" IWM’s film collection contains over 23,000 hours of footage dating from the turn of the twentieth century to the present day. The collection records people’s experiences of modern conflict from all walks of life. A wide range of material from public and service information films, documentaries and unedited combat films, through to official newsreels and amateur films are available to users. Over 250 hours of film from the First World War period is currently being digitised for online viewing. "

So there is more to come Tom. Not sure if all the online films will be free?

Mike

" IWM’s film collection contains over 23,000 hours of footage dating from the turn of the twentieth century to the present day. The collection records people’s experiences of modern conflict from all walks of life. A wide range of material from public and service information films, documentaries and unedited combat films, through to official newsreels and amateur films are available to users. Over 250 hours of film from the First World War period is currently being digitised for online viewing. "

So there is more to come Tom. Not sure if all the online films will be free?

Mike

The ones that are already on the net from the IWM have "Imperial War Museum" running across the middle of the video, if you want to watch it without that, it's a case of.......... Pay up.!!

At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he "asked" the public for money..!!!

Tom

I can understand the logo, and that makes sense. It would be interesting to know how they come by £10 + VAT for a half hour reel of audio. Maybe that's just the cost of it, but few will buy it at that price, unless they really need it? It's still great to see this footage, and hear the veterans though.

Mike