Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 10th Warwickshire Battalion, part of the 19th (Western) Division i

LCpl Lee Cope

Hello folks! I hope you're all well.

I'm currently investigating my 1st cousin 3x removed and his name was Edward Keighly Cope, he was a Private in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment during The Great War.

His Regimental number was 19040 and from what I can see he spent 2 years 283 days in service.

I'm very interested in finding out what the 10th Battalion did during the dates of 13/04/1918 - 01/06/1918, because that seems to be who Edward spent his days in France with as part of the BEF.

I'm open to any links or pictures that could help me paint a picture of how conditions were there.

Kind regards, LCpl Cope.

PS. I already have his medal card, service record, pension record, silver war badge letter and his civilian life through Ancestry.

I'm currently using this link to see which Battles Edward may have been involved in.

http://www.1914-1918.net/19div.htm

I've just changed the title, so hopefully I'll build some more interest amongst the experts. Thanks for the advise. :)

I'm going to buy the:

...19 DIVISION. 19 DIVISION, 57 INFANTRY BRIGADE: 8 Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment 1915 July - 1919 Mar./ 8 Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment 1915 July - 1918 Jan./ 10 Battalion RoyalWarwickshire Regiment 1915 July - 1919 Mar. ...

It's under WO 95/2085 in the National Archive.

The 10th Battalion seem to be part of the same file as the 8th Battalion The Gloucestershire Regiment and the 8th Battalion The North Staffordshire Regiment, I guess they must have all been working together during this period of the War.

Is this the correct file to order from the National Archive and find out about the 10th Battalion Warwickshire Regiment's activity during the dates I put in the previous post?

Arhhhhhhh, now this makes my last post make more sense! :)

57th Brigade

10th Bn, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment

8th Bn, the Gloucestershire Regiment

10th Bn, the Worcestershire Regiment left as a cadre June 1918

8th Bn, the North Staffordshire Regiment left February 1918

57th Machine Gun Company joined 14 February 1916 left to move into 19th MG Battalion 14 February 1918

57th Trench Mortar Battery joined 15 June 1916 3rd Bn, the Worcestershire Regiment joined June 1918

The period you are looking for, April - June 1918, The 10th were supporting French troops at the Aisne. I have copied a couple of pages from the Royal Warwick's History and will put them on later tonight after work

Terry

If you haven't already got the diary I have it. Give me the details that you need. If it is just

pages for the period mentioned PM me your e-mail address and I will send them.

Simon.

Many thanks for all the helpful information and pictures folks! Especially to 'Simon2' for the 10th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regimental War diary, it's all made for very interesting reading!

Although I'm still having trouble finding the 9th Battalion RWR war diary for the 30/06/1916. The one I ordered from the NA stops in early June sadly and I wish to look some more into my Second Great Grand uncle who was KIA in Mesopatamia.

Does anyone already have the War diary for that time period or could possibly send me a link that shows where I could find it.

Kind regards, Lee.

Morning Lee,

I have had a quick look on the NA site and I cannot find it either. If it is there someone will find it

or it is being digitized as we speak. You may have to wait awhile.

Cheers,

Simon.

• Admin

The diaries are in

WO 95/5159 9 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1916 Feb. - 1918 Nov.
WO 95/4955 9 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1918 Dec. - 1919 Sept.

They haven't been digitised and won't be for a while yet as tehy aren't in the current digitisation project list. Perhaps the Warwicks Museum might be able to help http://www.warwickfusiliers.co.uk/

Oh! Well thanks Spof! That's cleared up why I couldn't get my hands on it. What is the reason for them not being digitized yet? Does anyone know?

• Admin

TNA is first digitising the ones most in demand and this means pretty much all British units up to Divisional level for the Western Front. Hopewfully, the rest will follow but it won't be for some time as the ones being digitsied aren't due onle until next year.