Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another MIC interpretation please

rap1943

I have just got a copy of my Father's MIC (Rfn Frederick Pearson 16Btn KRRC C516) and I am seeking info on a comment written on it. As indicated in the top right hand corner of the card he received Pip, Squeek and Wilfred and in the big 'Action Taken' box, directly under the medal information, are the words 'To Class 2'.

Is there anyone out there who has an inkling as to what that may mean.

Thanks

Bob Pearson

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Ian, but could you explain please what that means and the situation that would lead to that. I know he was in France and that he was injured as he had two of those injury stripe badges (I'm not sure what they are called).

Bob

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Lets talk in WW1 terms to keep the terms consistant.

When demobilised - territorials were disembodied - soldiers were transferred to the reserve list. This means that for a period of time they could be recalled to the colours if for example there was a national emergency. Class Z men had the lowest call-up period of 12 months ie for 12 months after leaving the Army they could be called back to serve.

Soldiers leaving the army today are also put on the reserve list.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow on from this. I've now got my hands on a copy of the medal rolls for my Dad. This was done through a workmate and a very kind third party whose name I don't know but to who I am very gratefull.

Thing is, on the roll for the 1915 star in the remarks column is typed 'Class.Z.A.Res.11/2/19'. Thanks to Ian I understand the 'Class.Z' and can work out the 'Res.11/2/19'. but, any suggestions on the 'A' stuck in the middle.

It's more than likely dead obvious, but it ain't to me.

Cheers

Bob