Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles: latest British/others inclusion update?

chrislock

Hi all.

Victoria's April 2013 report makes sad reading. I respectfully urge all GWF members to support both her and the campaign to ensure the British and all nations involvements within this area during WW1 be commemorated as equals. A "Fromelles Memorial Park" gets my vote.

Stay strong Victoria and never give up. The collective and airbrushed fallen deserve better than this!!!

For those who may have have not had the opportunity to read Victoria's report, here you go:

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/research/index.php/disquieting-news-from-fromelles/

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes it was awful reading, as Chris Baker reminds us:

"British forces held the Fromelles sector between October 1914 and April 1918, and returned there in the final offensive in autumn 1918. In the defensive fighting of 1914 and 1918, in three names battles in 1915 and in months of trench warfare, it lost thousands of brave men here"

They must not be forgotten. The regiment I am interested in, 2nd Sussex, were annihilated on 9th May 1915 and a relative was wounded on the same date with the Northants

Jim

As an Australian, I totally support the recognition of ALL combatants. Surely cool heads can recognise this and make room for dedication/remembrance of all and to tell the story of this battlefield area in the context of the entire war period. No one should be forgotten.

Ian

Recent post on a Fromelles FaceBook Group:

"This morning I had the privilege to visit the construction site of the new Museum of Fromelles, all the structures are completed, the scenography is started, I am pleased to tell you that this museum will be wonderful, it will be a museum, but also a shrine of remembrance, a place of meditation and contemplation. I love it !!!!"

I replied with a question about the commemoration of British troops to which I received the reply:

"Dear Andy, the British will be mentioned, the focus on the ANZAC troops is a legend propagated by a little group of disgruntled people...for example, British sapper, Royal engineer officer, British items, uniforms will be in the museum, the Germans and Australians too. And some personal stories of British soldiers killed during the battle....the battles of 1914-1915 will be evocated. Where is the focus on Anzac troops...Anzac troops will receive the great honors that they deserve, but we don't forget the britishs who made the same sacrifice. It might be good that some people in the UK (a minority), stop their polemics and attacks against some Fromellois and Australians, the museum will be a gathering place of memory and respect, not a place of contention... Don't forget we love Australians, and we love British people".

My fingers are crossed

Andy

"Anzac troops will receive the great honours that they deserve"

Strange, was there not an equal number of British troops in the attack in July 1916, hmmmmmmmmm, never mind the thousands of British and German troops that died in the same self spot before the Australians even got to the Fromelles area, and after.

"and we love British people"

well they sure show this (NOT) with their attitude towards Victoria and others, the ceremony for the men of the 9th May 1915, really friendly like, with friends like this I could well do without enemies.

Andy

Andy

I did say my fingers are crossed.

Please note I didn't say I'm holding my breath; I wouldn't want to try & hold it that long

Andy

• Admin

Andy

MY experience is that the local people (with one notable exception) actually really do enjoy the 9th May service Victoria organises. The biggest problem is that it falls immedaitely after VE Day on the 8th which is THE French day of remembrance and it can be a bit much bunched together.

Glen

Members of the Commune de Fromelles are actively encouraged by the British families to attend. Despite this, we have been told by the Vice President of the FWTM that we “have no right to organise a private service”. The President of the FWTM has also refused to work with our Association – “It will be impossible to work together side-by-side” – and he no longer attends our services.

True Glen, but to stay away and be told we "have no right to organise a private service" for the men that fell there I take exception to.

Andy, I fear it might be a very long breath indeed.

Andy