Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War 1 veteran

Conor Dodd

Sadly Walter Humphreys died last Thursday at a Nursing Home in Londonat the age of 105. He was one of the veterans at the reunion in the P.R.O. During the war he served as a Pte. in the Civil Service Rifles.

Conor

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Bearing in mind there are so few of the boys left is there some way we can keep a register of them and say get people living close to them to interview them or at least get a photographic picture library together?

Time creeps up so quickly!

Ian :)

I agree I wrote to the Great War Veteran Assc. a few months ago but no reply, also since there is no veterans now left if Ireland North or South all I will be able to do is collect interviews each with photos that were done in the 90's (if people want them) but I think it is important to keep a record as there will be so many people who will never be able to meet a veteran. I think perhaps we should open a new thread for this ?

Conor

I have suggested to Chris that if we could get one of the veterans to do a live web chat here... then it could be filmed as part of a documentary on this site. The big problem is their mobility....

The problem when you get to the last, is the sense of urgency, "you dont know what you got till its gone!"

John

A friend at work gave me 10 videos today; they were produced by the Government of Canada (Veterans Affairs) between 1996-1998 as part of their oral history project. The idea was to record the thoughts and recollections of Canadian WW1 veterans from the time they enlisted to the time they were demobilized. Each video is between 40 minutes to an hour in length.

I watched the first three videos tonight. At the time the videos were recorded, two of the vets were 98 and the other was 99 years old. Their stories of trench warfare and night patrols in No Mans Land were quite remarkable. One of the veterans, Alex Morrison, MM, won his medal for holding a critical trench during a counter attack. He said he didn't win the MM for bravery, he won it for not running away.

These men are (were) national treasures and I'm please the federal government took the time to honour them in this fashion. In this case, it was taxpayer's money well spent. I'm looking forward to watching the remaining videos.

Mordac, when you are finished viewing the videos, perhaps we could meet and I could borrow them (and have my wife give me "that" look). Not that I condone piracy, but perhaps they should be "duplicated" for archival purposes . . . :lol:

Can we not get someone interested in producing our own bersions of the Canadian tapes?

Or has enough been done over the years?... e.g. the 80th anniversary of the end of the war.

I have just received mt copy of Forgotten Men which was filmed in 1934..

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The book 'Forgotten Voices' was based on transcripts of audio tape of veterans talking about their experiences. But as far as I know there has been no attempt at a video record.

Someone on the Forum seems to know Smiler Marshall, perhaps we could 'make a start' with him?

Views anyone?

Ian

:)

Broznitsky:

I've asked my son to do tape-to-tape copies of these videos for me. It would be nice to condense the 10 videos onto two or three tapes. I'll ask him to do an extra set for you. This might take a month or two to complete and I'll send you an e-mail when they're ready.

I don't think there's any problem with copying these tapes; they're public documents (records) and there's no copyright warnings on the three videos I saw yesterday. Besides, I'll be saving the Canadian taxpayers a couple of dollars by using my own tapes. :D