Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2014 - fifth speaker announced

AlanCurragh

Excellent!

Getting even better.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very pleased to announce our final speaker -

Tony Pollard - "Heard No Further Of Him: The Search for WWI Mass Graves at Fromelles."

Full details on booking your place at the start of the thread

Alan

Great stuff. Well done as always Alan

Roger

I was getting worried after his recent activities, but Alan comes up trumps again. (Those who have seen certain recent posts, even exposures on Facebook will understand). Alan's secret is almost safe with me.

Keith

I was getting worried after his recent activities, but Alan comes up trumps again. (Those who have seen certain recent posts, even exposures on Facebook will understand). Alan's secret is almost safe with me.

Keith

I seem to have missed Alan's "exposure" on Facebook; I hope it wasn't a pictorial.

I did see mention of someone paying money for a lecture on cold winter weather though ;)

Andy

OK - full-ish disclosure. Money did not specifically change hands, it was a day ticket for a set of talks - the ones we wanted to see were mainly about Tudor and Plantagenet history - there just happened to be one talk on the day by a certain "popular historian", on the Battle of the Atlantic, as it happens.

Anyway, that is the conference line-up complete, make sure you book your ticket before they sell out

Was looking forward to making my first conference but discovered that that day I will be on my way to France for a battlefield tour which was booked earlier on. However, I will be definitely coming next year, especially if at same sort of time and place. Have a great one. Mike

OK, I'm now prepared to share a thought. Premier Inn are now offering some savings on rooms in Birmingham, and as one of these is next door to Akbar's fine restaurant, to which some of us will undoubtedly be repairing on the Friday after a few pints at the Old Contemptibles I have coughed up for my room. There might be a better deal nearer to the time, but the Hagley Road Premier never seems to become very cheap, perhaps because it is so convenient for Akbar's.

There are cheaper deals, definitely possible with Travelodge, somewhat nearer to the OC, but for those who want to finish Friday evening with quality Indian food the answer is obvious.

See you at the OC, and then hopefully at Akbar's. There were over 30 of us there last time, and the good company lasted well into the night.

Keith

The comfortable limit is about 150 or so, I think we aim for slightly less to allow a bit more space. Alan would have figures, but I think it was 90 or so for the first year, and has been 140 -160 in each year since then. For me, it isn't just the speakers, but a rare opportunity to put faces to names and to build a few new friendships. Then too, when you chat with someone about their particular WW1 interest, there is always something to learn.

Keith

Just got my work schedule for next year, so I will be able to make the Conference.

Cheque will be in the post this weekend when I get back to the UK for both the Conference and the meal.

Mark

While I may have to content myself with a civil rights tour in the Brum closer, I would dearly like to attend the real conference. Who knows perhaps this during the centenary year I'll be able to make the pilgramage.

Please count me in. Conference AND dinner. Why miss the chance of a good feed and chat?

Deposit winging it's way to you soonest.

Booking now for Premier Inn, Hagley Rd.

Regards

Martin

Good Morning,

I have fired over the deposit for Clive and myself.

Happy days!

Simon

You won't regret it.

Keith

Indeed. I didn't stay for the meal last year but have decided to do it again this year. I missed the opportunity to have a really good natter after the main event.

Keith

Yay Susan, well decided! You'll enjoy the food as well as the company, it's much more of a social event than the time we get to mingle during the day.

Roc, are you sure about that? James seems to remember sitting next to you last year, perhaps he was so boring you've blocked it from memory :D

Words fail me