Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2014 - fifth speaker announced

AlanCurragh

The fifth annual Great War Forum conference will be at the Tally Ho in Birmingham again, on 29th March 2014 with the same format as the previous conferences - five speakers, starting at 10.30, finishing at 5.30, followed by dinner. I'm delighted to announce the five speakers are -

Charles Messenger - "How the British Army mobilised for war in 1914"

Matthias Strohn - "Gibraltar on the Western Front: Ernst Jünger and the 73rd Fusilier Regiment in the Great War"

Bill MacCormick - "Pending Corpses - The Failure of the VIII Corps at Beaumont Hamel and Serre, 1st July 1916"

Christina Holstein - "Why There, Why Then? The Battle of Verdun 1916"

Tony Pollard - "Heard No Further Of Him - The Search for WWI Mass Graves at Fromelles."

The cost will be £28 per person, covering the conference, lunch and tea and coffee. Dinner will be £24.

As with last year's event, pals will be more than welcome to bring along books to sell, or any display material you have.

Please can you let me know you want to attend, by the payment of a £10 deposit. You can make your deposit either via a cheque or by using the Paypal link - details of both are here, and can also be accessed by the link in my signature -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169635

Any questions, please let me know

Many thanks

Alan

Not a pub - It's the Police Training Centre!

Our traditional Bobbies or John Peelers hunt criminals on horseback dressed in red uniforms. You'll oft hear the merry cry "burglar gone away -tally ho" and the sound of baying police dogs.

And as the Duke of Wellington once said "If you believe that you'll believe anything" (which is actually true.)

Please reserve two places....Ayesha and I intend to be there.

Bruce

Hope you can make it Egbert, it would be lovely to meet you.

Two places for us please, to inclde dinner, cheque will be in the post forthwith (no, honestly it will :))

I think Egbert is referring to Birmingham Alabama (AL)

One place for me and dinner please

Roger.

With regards to dinner.....fewer and fewer of us seem to go for the evening meal, and it is not cheap. Those of us who stay at Hagley Road could eat in the attached pub, or in Akbar's.

What do Pals think?

Also.....since Jack won't be able to do so, could someone book the back room at the OC for the Friday evening? It is nice to meet up there on the evening before the Conference, and I can recommend the food there (along with the choice of at least six real ales).

Thoughts?

Bruce

Really, do you think fewer people are eating? Can't say there was a noticeable difference for me.

If people did eat elsewhere there would be something lost I think (familiarity/closeness of the group etc). Also, people may choose to eat in different places and we'd become fractured. A fair few also go to Akbars on the Friday night and possibly wouldn't want to repeat a visit so soon.

I do think it would be a great shame if this part of the weekend were lost.

Oh, and I meant to say the attached pub could well be exceedingly busy by the time we got there (it always looks that way when we get back). Getting seats/tables together would be a nightmare.

I think Egbert is referring to Birmingham Alabama (AL)

One place for me and dinner please

Roger.

Thought it was a mistype! I shall be there (although there will be 4 stone less of me than at the last conference!) and what is left will want feeding please Cheque is in the post (doesn't every one say that though?) Only problem with the OC is that the noise level is painful and it becomes almost impossible to hold a decent conversation - had to leave early last year because of this.

Only been to the other Birmingham once - wasn't impressed by the local hostelries - Atlanta next door better.

Alan

Please count me in and one for the dinner as well.

I think the issue with the dinner this year (and Alan will correct me if I am wrong) is that quite a few people booked and then, for a variety of reasons, had to leave early so there were a number of empty places. Hopefully that won't happen next year.

Alan - I presume the vast majority of people who stay for the dinner are GWF members if not regular contributors - is that correct?

Many thanks.

Neil

Hi Alan,

Please count me in for the conference and dinner. Deposit sent by Paypal donation link.

Assume everyone who is anyone is going to be in the Hagley Road Premier as usual. I shall also be there.

I'm glad you reminded me - just booked our room at Hagley Road too

Alan,

Please reserve a place for us. I put the 10 pounds in through PayPal but you will probably see it as coming from Col. J's. The reality is that this place is being held for Verlag-Militaria who'll probably bring a series of English language books that might interest the pals.

• 2 weeks later...

The third speaker, as well as Charles and Matthias mentioned above, is

Bill MacCormick - 'Pending Corpses' - The Failure of the VIII Corps at Beaumont Hamel and Serre, 1st July 1916

Bill is of course known to us on the forum as "bmac"

See the top of this thread for details on booking your place at the conference

Thanks

Alan

I've just paid via PayPal.

FYI yesterday's 2nd WFA Conference there was v. v. good indeed - 4 excellent speakers.

Ok I have paid up (bank transfer) using the info on the direct debit form. Conference and dinner as ever. Looking forward to meeting so many GWF pals again.

Keith

Hi Alan,

I would like to attend, could you please put me and my father Bruce Littley down for the conference only.

Will sort payment, regards

Vern

Will do Vern - and I'll be announcing the fourth speaker later on today

I'm very pleased to announce our fourth speaker -

Christina Holstein - "Why There, Why Then? The Battle of Verdun 1916"

Please see the top of this thread for details on booking your place at the conference

Thanks

Alan