Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William Smith 1st Bedfordshire Reg. 3/6803

Sally B

I have been searching for the Attestation paper for the above soldier who I believe served in The Bedfordshire Regiment from 1914-20. I know that he was awarded the Victory, British and 14 Star medals. He survived the war but did not return home until 1920, we are unsure where he was from 1918/20. Sadly he never discussed his army career while he was alive and his family would like to know more about him. Family stories suggest that he was wounded twice but I have been unable to substantiate this. Any help would be much appreciated.

First landed in France on 11.9.1914. 1 Battalion were part of 15 Brigade of 5 Division,which landed in August 1914 so he must have been in a replacement draft for early losses at Mons and Le Cateau.

Unit War Diary is at Kew under WO95/1570/1from Aug 1914 to the end of 1917 when the Division went to Italy,but not yet digital.

• 2 weeks later...

See www.bedfordregiment.org.uk for the on line, transcribed diaries and all sorts of other bits.

I had contact with his Grandson late in 2012 / early this year so if it's not you, drop me a line through the site.

If it's the 1st Battalion history you want more information on, there are 2 books covering the battalion's war as well, from all the usual places as well as the site above.