Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel Ross 16th KRRC to 1st Royal Irish Rifles from Portrush

conijoni

Rifleman Samuel Ross, C/92, from Portrush in Northern Ireland joined the 16th Bn. Kings Royal Rifle Corps in September 1914. I presume he was wounded when serving with the 16th KRRC but when fit again was posted to the 1st Bn. Royal Irish Rifles, Army No.10418. He was killed on 31st July 1917. I was wondering if any of the forum members could help with some further details, ie when wounded, when attached to the RIR, how he died. Samuel Ross was one of thirteen men from Holy Trinity, Portrush, Church Lads Brigade to join the 16th KRRC. Thank you. Johnny Conn

Johnny - there's no Embarkation Date on his MIC and he had no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star, which suggests he did not go out with the bulk of 16/KRRC in November 1915.

I'll continue digging to see what else I can turn up.

Hope you're well!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark...am well...I wonder if he got sick and had to return home. On the cwgc site it says he enlisted with the 16th KRRC. He has a number C/92. On a Portrush website there is a photo of him wearing a KRRC cap badge. Thanks, Johnny

My guess is he was one of the first men enlisting into the battalion, but was somehow unable to go overseas with them in November 1915 - illness would certainly be a likely reason, or possibly a training injury.

When he was able to rejoin, it was already past the 31 Dec 1915 cut-off for the 1914-15 Star.

Since KRRC is mentioned on his MIC , I think he definitely served in France & Flanders with 16/KRRC.

Your suggestion that he was wounded and then transferred to the RIRif on return to fitness is a highly plausible scenario - he would already be familiar with rifles drill!

I'll keep digging, though named lists of wounded ORs are uncommon in the war diary :-(

Cheers,

Mark

Johnny, had a look in my files but only have the newspaper photo of Samuel which just mentions he had fallen in action,it is along side his cousin Edward who was missing at the time and further i have a few mentions of Edward, i believe this Edward NB, according to SDITGW he was born Portrush. if interested either PM me with email address and will send or see my website to get in touch.

ROSS, EDWARD

Service No:15880
Date of Death:07/06/1917
Regiment/Service:Royal Irish Rifles
10th Bn
Walter