Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wauchope medal or medallion mystery

steelbonnet

post-35392-0-52146900-1379601725_thumb.j post-35392-0-97770200-1379601905_thumb.j I recently aquired the medal shown from a decendant of Sgt A Milligan. I can find several references to a WAUCHOPE medal which was created and issued by Col Wauchope of the Black Watch. However I have not been able to find a picture, can anyone help. I also undestand that the 60 medals were issued for gallantry and this is reflected in the insciption. My example reads

"Sergt. A Milligan - for conspicuous service - in the - battle beyond Bagdad - March 14 1917 - presented by - Colonel A Wauchope"

It would appear that there were 10 more men who recieved the medal but not for gallantry. Could Sergt A Milligan be one of these ten?

Is the issue of this unofficial medal recorded anywhere?

Gordon B

You did well.

He is 204 Pioneer Sgt A Milligan.

He was awarded the DCM in LG 15.4.16 (This was for operations in Jan 16 , in No.2 Coy (war diary)

Also he is in the list of Officers & Men who served 4.8.14 - 11.11.18.

The wording is usually For Conspicuous Gallantry so this is one of the others.

He was in the wouded lists of 14.8.15 published 28.7.15 as a L/Cpl.

Gordon,

Here is information on this medallion from a previous GWF post from member Patrick Anderson, 19 December 2009.

Regards,

LF

" A History of the Black Watch ( Royal Highlanders) in the Great War 1914-198 edited by major General A G Wauchope CB has in Volume 1 Regular army 1st 2nd & 3rd Bns a write up on page 269 the WAUCHOPE MEDALLION.

It is inevitable that in regiments such as The Black Watch , where every man seeks to distinguish himself when fighting for his country, there should be many whose gallant acts go un rewarded .

This fact was well understood by the men of the Battalion, but Colonel Wauchope was eager to give a mark of recognition to those who greatly distinguished themselves in battle . He therefore ordered a medallion to be specially struck , and gave this to NON COMMISSIONED Officers and MEN who had led their sectins with specail distinction or had done some deed of marked gallantry in action. Colonel Wauchope gave 60 of these medals , mostly to men who had been recommended for gallantry after the Battles of LOOS and MUSHAIDIE - the battle Beyond Bagdad - and ten others to men who had specially distinguished themselves scouting in No Man's Land.

The Medallions became known as "The WAUCHOPE MEDAL " , and were highly prized by the men who gained them and by the platoons to which those men belonged; they were now , in all too many cases , treasured by Widows as a symbol of the Great deeds done by Men of the Black Watch for their Regiment and Country .

medals presented by Col A G Wauchope for gallantry at the Battle of Loos 1915 & the Battle beyond Bagdad 1917

one shows reverse of medal 2nd Bn Black Watch and Pte A Menzies for conspicous gallantry in the Battle beyond Bagdad March 14 , 1917 presented by Colonel A G Wauchope

another medal shows reverse engraved L/Cpl J Shirra , for conspicous gallantry in the Battle beyond Bagdad March 14 , 1917 presented by Colonel A G Wauchope in an Elkington & Co case of issue - 2nd Bn Black Watch

patrick w anderson "

As someone who once owned Menzies and Shirra (on Stirling Memorial) I have done a lot of research on the medallions.

Although Wauchope name is on the history's the number of medallions is wrong - see war diary. Plus I have logged some in addition.

As someone who once owned Menzies and Shirra (on Stirling Memorial) I have done a lot of research on the medallions.

Although Wauchope name is on the history's the number of medallions is wrong - see war diary. Plus I have logged some in addition.

Fred, thanks for your comments, is the medal I've pictured the same as those of Shirra and Menzies.

Gordon

I hope the medallion has not been cleaned with anything abrasive!

Sepoy

The medal appears to have had a finish of some sort applied, probably at time of manufacture and what we see in the picture are the original brush strokes.

Gordon

You did well.

He is 204 Pioneer Sgt A Milligan.

He was awarded the DCM in LG 15.4.16 (This was for operations in Jan 16 , in No.2 Coy (war diary)

Also he is in the list of Officers & Men who served 4.8.14 - 11.11.18.

The wording is usually For Conspicuous Gallantry so this is one of the others.

He was in the wouded lists of 14.8.15 published 28.7.15 as a L/Cpl.

Thanks for the info. I will continue with my reseach. I will get back to the family and see if they have any more information on our man. I'll post anything of interest that surfaces

Gordon

I think the finish is possibly the residue of some sort of polish.

All BBB I have seen are only engraved on one side. The earlier issue for Loos are engraved on both sides.

Quite a few WM recipients got the DCM but their WM's are engraved Gallantry so this is a bit odd.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting award and a good find.

I have a number of these:

Three were awarded for Conspicuous Gallantry in the Battle Beyond Baghdad - to Pte William Wilson, Pte Robert Queen & L Cpl J Shirra.

One is the same as the one you have acquired, for Conspicuous Good Service in the Battle Beyond Baghdad - to Sergt George Cave.

One was awarded for Conspicuous Gallantry on Givenchy Hill on Oct 8th 1915 - to Pte T Lamb.

In relation to Pte Robert Queen, I have his 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and Death Plaque ( but not his BWM).

In relation to Sgt George Cave, I have his BWM and Silver War Badge.

I also have a pocket New Testament belonging to Pte William Wilson

Whilst the awards relating to the Battle Beyond Baghdad are engraved on one side only, (as your example), the award to Pte T Lamb is engraved on both sides.

I have tried to find a full list of recipients, but to no avail, although I have compiled my own list of 19 recipients that have appeared on the market or in articles on the web. I have to say that I did not have your man listed, as clearly this have been in family hands, which I suspect may well be the case for a number of awards, which yet to surface.

Hi John

Queen's resided in America for a number of years and the BWM was not with his medals there.

Cave was owned by a well known dealer who had a stilborn project on WM's

Shrirra was one I had and was in its case, he is on the Stirling war memorial

I had Menzies which had a novel ribbon attached when I got it from the Samson Collecton, the ribbon was made from a BW tie!

Still got Loo's medallion to a DCM winner.

I worked on a list of WM in conjunction with the museum quite a number of years ago but they were not wanting the results known as they were working on a project regarding them.

• 4 years later...
On 27/10/2013 at 14:13, jpdc996 said:

This is an interesting award and a good find.

I have a number of these:

Three were awarded for Conspicuous Gallantry in the Battle Beyond Baghdad - to Pte William Wilson, Pte Robert Queen & L Cpl J Shirra.

One is the same as the one you have acquired, for Conspicuous Good Service in the Battle Beyond Baghdad - to Sergt George Cave.

One was awarded for Conspicuous Gallantry on Givenchy Hill on Oct 8th 1915 - to Pte T Lamb.

In relation to Pte Robert Queen, I have his 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and Death Plaque ( but not his BWM).

In relation to Sgt George Cave, I have his BWM and Silver War Badge.

I also have a pocket New Testament belonging to Pte William Wilson

Whilst the awards relating to the Battle Beyond Baghdad are engraved on one side only, (as your example), the award to Pte T Lamb is engraved on both sides.

I have tried to find a full list of recipients, but to no avail, although I have compiled my own list of 19 recipients that have appeared on the market or in articles on the web. I have to say that I did not have your man listed, as clearly this have been in family hands, which I suspect may well be the case for a number of awards, which yet to surface.

Lambs medal was sold at DNW on 1st March 2018

Further info William Wilsons Wauchope was also sold at DNW on 1st March 2018 with Lambs medal

• 8 months later...

Good Morning. I have recently acquired the Wauchope Medallion attached, presented to my wife's Great Uncle Sgt G Sinclair. Are there are further citations or supporting information that we could use to rememnber him?

Many thanks.

Dave McDonald

T8220091 Sgt (RAF- retired)

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

On 24/11/2018 at 11:42, Macca0091 said:

Good Morning. I have recently acquired the Wauchope Medallion attached, presented to my wife's Great Uncle Sgt G Sinclair. Are there are further citations or supporting information that we could use to rememnber him?

Many thanks.

Dave McDonald

T8220091 Sgt (RAF- retired)

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

I suspect this is  Sergeant George Sinclair ,  service number 321 .

Regards Steve.