Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flight Sub Lieutenant GJW Goodwin

dorrie

I am trying to find any details regarding Flight Sub lieutenant GJW Goodwin. I think he came from Matlock and was 19 years of age when he died. He is buried at the Dunkirk Town cemetery. Other than this I have very little information.

Thanks Dorrie

Flt Sub Lt Godfrey John Whitehouse GOODWIN

12 Sqdn RNAS Native of Matlock Age 19

Killed 12.03.18 in crash of Sopwith Camel serial no. B3845 following engine failure at Loon Plage, France

I guess Dolphin will be able to add more.

GJW Goodwin was born o1August 1898

Originally served as a rating in the RNVR as an Ordinary Seaman Off Number BL5385 Promoted to PFO 15th Sept 1917 & FSL 13th Feb 1918.

Buried Dunkirk Town Cemetery Plot IV Row A Grave 9 Inscription reads Whats brave whats noble he did it and may death prove to take him.

Son of John Godfrey & Mary Aston Goodwin of the Cottage, Wellington Street Matlock.

PS I think there is something wrong with his RNVR number

No.12 Squadron was an operational training squadron, a "pilot's pool" if you like, new pilots would spend a week or so with No.12 before being posted to an operational squadron.

No.12 was called on to mount port defence duties on occasion (for Dunkerque) and there were very occasional losses due to enemy action.

Dorrie

1901 census image for GJW Goodwin.

Note that place of birth is recorded as Edgbaston and not Matlock.

SN

Thanks for all your help. stephen

in terms of the Matlock idea his parents were living at matlock at the time of his death according to CWGC, so thanks for the info re edgbaston

Dorrie