Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice Sought!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I picked up a trio from a local junk shop the other week. It was to a Royal Engineer, not something I would chose to collect but as the guy was selling all the medals separately, I couldn't see this set broken up!

I am trying to find out which unit he first served with overseas.

His service record is not to be found in WO 363 or 364.

His medal index card shows he went to France on 7 July 1915, but no record remains in WO 25 of any RE's departing on this date or the day before or after.

Both medal rolls, show he was discharged Para 392 in 1917 but he did not claim a Silver War Badge (there is no reference as such on the MIC), so I think he was 'time served'. In fact I looked up the SWB rolls for the period in case this had been left off but with no success.

I have checked up on casualties on the roll near his number and come up with the 23 Field Coy twice but these are for men some 10 to 20 numbers away and I am not convinced.

I am now at a dead end!

My only option left is to write to the RE Museum at Chatham to see if they can help.

If anyone else has any other advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Ian

:)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry,

True!

the man in question is 45192 Spr Ernest Cooley RE.

Embarked to France 7 July 1915

Discharged Para 392 24 August 1917.

45181 L/Cpl C F Searston RE & 45184 L/Cpl E Muir RE were both KiA serving with the 89th Field Coy but both left for France on 22 May 1915.

45194 Dvr H Lindup RE was KiA serving with 69th Field Coy but left for France on 1 June 1915.

The only other reference to a casualty I could find on the roll who embarked on 7 July 1915 was

46822 Dvr T Robb RE who was KiA serving with 23rd Field Coy.

Not sure if this logic could apply to determine Cooley's unit - advice appreciated!

Ian

:)

Ian,

Glad to hear you saved his trio from being broken. I cant think of anything I HATE more then a dealer or others splitting medals. Good luck searching your Mr. Cooley.

Best wishes

David

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Cheers David.

I agree with you 100%

I can understand when junk shop owners do it, but when you see it from so called collectors on the internet auction houses :angry:

Quite recently I heard of someone splitting up a medal pair from a photograph of the soldier!!!

Nothing justifies this whatever you are trying to do, private collection or display.

Ian

It's a practice that totally baffles me! Apart from the ethics of such a practice, it's a strange thing to do financially, also. Aren't complete pairs or groupings (especially those to sought after units/casualties/etc. worth more (money) than if they were sold individually?

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

Yes you are right - it is usually through ignorance that such things occur. When I bought this trio though the Star & BWM were £10 each & the Victory £5. Total £25. Value as a set, in my opinion, £35-40.

The particular instance that has me :angry: is a person who should know better splitting a photo from a pair of medals just because he doesn't want the medals.

It has made me plain MAD :angry:

Ian