Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

IWM The British entry into Cologne (23.57)

Object description

The British occupation of Cologne, including 1st Cavalry Division and 29th Division marching past General Sir Herbert Plumer, commanding the Army of Occupation, across the Hohenzollern Bridge, 1st KOSB 18th Hussars

I. The marchpast by 1st Cavalry Division on 12th December. Plumer stands with his staff to one side of the road leading across the bridge. With him are Lieutenant-General C Jacob, commanding II Corps, and Lieutenant-General Sir Charles Kavanagh commanding the Cavalry Corps. Lorries and 6-inch howitzers are parked waiting at the end of the bridge. 2nd and 9th Cavalry Brigades begin the marchpast, which continues for two hours, at 10 am. The lancer regiment in the procession is 9th Lancers; they advance with the divisional cyclists and Austin armoured cars behind. Plumer is shown waiting to leave by his car, then standing beneath the giant statue of Kaiser Wilhelm II above the bridge, taking the salute. The division, including its transport, continues the marchpast. II. On the following day, 13th December, 29th Division starts its marchpast at 9.30 am, with Plumer again taking the salute. The Scottish battalion in the procession is 1st Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers. (There is an interpolation of the Cavalry from the previous day moving off the bridge.) III. The lorries and 6-inch howitzers at the far end of the bridge are still in position, waiting, on 14th December. IV. At a road bridge just north of Bayenthal, Cologne, on 6th December a corporal's guard of 'A' Squadron, 18th Hussars, sets up a Vickers machine gun and equipment. Armed German civilians, ex-soldiers employed by the British as a police force, look on.
Physical description

35mm

Mike

Mike you did not post a link but I think this particular video was posted already last week

Sorry egbert, I guess I was too tired. Sorry about that. Do you reckon I should add the link?

I did say I would pm a list of those I had done, but I reckon just hitting the IWM video tag shows that anyway. We need to add many more members to our IWM video choir, that way we make beautiful music, all singing from the same Hymn sheet?

Mike