Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Harold Timms Poole, RAVC

pjlee

I'm posting to see if anyone has information on Private George Harold Timms Poole, Royal Army Veterinary Corp, No SE/28049, he is named on my village War Memorial and also on Panel 57 of the Jerusalem Memorial to the Missing, Israel. He died aged 29 on the 27 June 1919 and was the son of James and Charlotte Poole; husband of Mabel Frances Poole of 12 Floating Bridge Road, Southampton. This is all the information I have and would be most grateful for further information.

He was born in October 1889, the son of James Poole and Charlotte Timms. The eldest of 6 children.

The family lived in Meriden, Warwickshire. George was a farm labourer in the 1911 census. His father was a cow man.

He married Mabel Frances King, a domestic parlourmaid, in March 1916 in Southampton. She was born in August 1891 in Eastleigh, Hants. She never remarried and died in 1981 in Southampton.

He was awarded the British War & Victory medals, so did not go overseas until after January 1916.

Sandie, wow, what a prompt response. Thank you so very much for the information. I've been told that he was taken by a crocidile whilst watering horses, I've never been able to substantiate this, any ideas? Once again I'm so thankful for the extra information you've provided.

Happy I could help.

Do they have crocodiles in Israel? I never saw any, I'm sure it's too dry.

Have you checked local newspaper archives? A story like that would surely make the headlines.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no further forward on this, I assume he would have been attached to another Regiment, does anyone know how I can find out. Also as he died in 1919 I'm confused as to why he would have still been out there on Service, can anyone enlighten me.

Many thanks

Paul

• 2 years later...

I know it has been some time since I posted this, but received further information over the weekend. George was accidentally drowned in Egypt on 27 June 1919 whilst serving with the 4th Cavalry and was subsequently buried 150 yards south west of Homs Railway Station, Syria. This grave must have been later lost as he is named on the Jerusalem Memorial to the Missing.

I phoned the RAVC (RAMC) Museum for more information but they only suggested National Archives, which I can't get to.

Can anyone advise if there is a War Diary that will give further details? I assume the 4th Cavalry were involved with policing of the Egyptian Revolution of 1919.

Would appreciate guidance as to how to research this further. We are planning to publish a booklet (Lottery funded and not for profit), the booklet will feature on our fallen and I'm looking for an overview of the role George would have played as a Private in RAVC whilst serving with the 4th Cavalry at this time.