Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fricourt area trench map

WARFORUM

I am hoping someone on this sub forum will be able to help me locate the area where my wife's Great Uncle was killed, as we will be visiting his grave this year and would like to spend some time in the area where he lost his life.

His name was Fredrick Wicker Austin Eyers and he served with the 12th Btn Middlesex Regiment and died on 24th November 1915.

The war diary for that period mentions the Battalion being in D2 Sector and companies distribution as

B - Right sub sector

C - Left sub sector

D - Bonte Redoubt

A - Becordel until shelters in Kingston Road are complete

Interestingly the diary actually names Fredrick and the fact he was shot near the same place as another young man who, was killed the previous day (Thomas Hewett) and makes note of the new steel helmets not being very good. (I have tried to attach this section of the diary, hope it works).

post-76224-0-74147300-1379433796_thumb.p

With this information are any of the more experienced out there able to show me where we should actually good, or tell me where I should start looking for more information. Unfortunately I have not been able to find out which company Fredrick was attached to.

Hi Glen,

Thanks very much, first time I have seen anything like this, so it definitely helps.

Could you tell me what the blue numbers along the line refer to.

Graham

• 2 years later...

There was one posted on the Forum a long while ago which I took a copy of because of my interest in the 6th Northamptons of the same Brigade. I can't find where it first came from though.

post-6536-0-78890400-1445206926_thumb.jp

With apologies to the original poster.

Steve.