Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM Haig and his Army Commanders on 11th November 1918

Skipman

IWM Haig and his Army Commanders on 11th November 1918 (5.06)

Object description

Events in Field Marshal Haig's day, 11 November 1918.
Full description

I. The film opens with a very brief portrait shot of Haig, taken by a French official cameraman in August 1917. II. The Army Commanders arrive by car at Haig's temporary headquarters at Cambrai for their final conference, shortly before 11am. General Birdwood (Fifth Army) arrives first, then Byng (Third Army), Plumer (Second Army) then Byng with Horne (First Army), Rawlinson (Fourth Army) and Haig. At 11am General Plumer is pictured in close-up left profile with General Byng next to him, trying to make him laugh. A posed group on a flight of steps: Plumer, Haig and Rawlinson in front, Byng, Birdwood and Horne behind, with staff officers to the rear, including Lieutenant-Generals Sir John 'Tavish' Davidson, Montgomery, and Sir Louis Vaughan. The next scene shows Haig back at his command train near Iwuy at 12.50pm, greeting Prince Fushimi of Japan, Prince Arthur of Connaught, and Count Inouye. The Prince of Wales arrives at 2.15pm and Haig also greets him. Finally, Haig's departure from Cambrai at about 11.30am following his Army Commanders' conference. The Army Commanders, except Plumer, are visible saying goodbye, and the troops cheer him. The other generals then leave.
Physical description

35mm

Mike

Mike

No, A A Montgomery, Chief of Staff Fourth Army.

Charles M

:blush: I had my doubts. I noticed on the IWM related to this film

Associated people and organisations

Byng, Julian Hedworth George

British Army

Fushimi, Prince of Japan

Inouye (Count)

Arthur of Connaught (HRH Prince)

Horne, Henry Sinclair

Vaughan, Louis Ridley

Edward, Prince (Duke of Windsor)

Plumer, Herbert Charles Onslow

Rawlinson, Henry Seymour

Davidson, John Humphrey

Montgomery, Bernard Law

Haig, Douglas

Edit If it's good enough for the IWM? :w00t:

Mike

Mike

No, A A Montgomery, Chief of Staff Fourth Army.

Charles M

He later changed his surname to Montgomery-Massingberd, and became CIGS in the thirties (1933, I think).

Perhaps it is not surprising that the IWM got it wrong, as "General Montgomery" seems automatically to bring BL to mind.

Ron

Monty was a staff officer for most of the war. After being wounded in October 14 his next regimental appointment (apart from 3 months in 1919) was in 1925.