Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbrand Sackville's WW1 Naval Records

Jayenn

I know that Herbrand Sackville was a Conscientious Objector, which I believe he became because of his father who was KIA, and that he joined a 'minesweeper" but can anyone tell me more, please? Did he go before a tribunal or did he join the minesweeper service before he had to? I know that the 'minesweepers' were, probably, nothing more than fishing boats, but can I find out which he served on?

Is there anywhere that I cab=n find his naval records? I'd be grateful for any information that might 'flesh out' his WW1 service.

Herbrand Edward Dundonald Brassey Sackville, 9th Earl De La Warr enrolled in the Royal Naval Reserve (Trawler Section). In the Medal Roll he is listed under both Deckhand Ed. Sackville and, in a separate entry as Deckhand De La Warr, Earl. He was issued with Victory and British War Medals.

He originally enrolled as a Signal Boy so he has two records. The original RNR records for him are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum; digital, low-resolution copies at Kew.

Thank you horatio2,
Brilliant! I've been searching, on and off, for many weeks, now, but have found nothing to speak of. I've searched both the Internet and Ancestry, using every combination of words I could think of, but with no results. It's very frustrating when you don't even know where to start!

I assume you got this information from the Fleet Air Arm Museum? I'm researching Herbrand's part in WW1, for a project, and would like to get as much information as I can. If you've seen these records, do you think it would be worth my while going to see these RNR records - is there much more to see? Could you tell me where the Museum is, please? In my project I need to add reference numbers, so if you could help me with those or tell me where to find them, I'd be very grateful!

Sorry about the questions but, after achieving nothing over many weeks, I'm more than a bit excited and pleased with what you've told me! I feel it's that break-through moment!

Thyanks again,

John

Hi again horatio2,

I got so excited, that even though it's past midnight I just had to search again, using what information you'd given me - - - - - and I found his medal card, on Ancestry! And I found where the Fleet Air Arm Museum is, via the National Archives - - - - and how to contact them! I think I can take it from here now but, if there's anything else you can tell me, I'd be very pleased. I never tried Ed Sackville - never even thought of that name.

Tomorrow morning, I'll see what documents I can get online.

Can't thank you enough!

John