Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12/13 Northumberland Fusiliers August 1918

johnnie

Dear all.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me where the 12/13 Northumberland Fusiliers were in early August 1918.

I am trying to find out more about 2Lt James William Thompson who died of wounds on the 8th August 1918 and have come to a bit of a halt.

His service file seems to be at Kew, although I can't see myself getting there anytime soon so was wondering if anybody happened to have the unit war diary.

Any help would be great.

Johnnie

Johnnie

They were in the 'Mailly Left Sector'.

On 27/7/18: 'The Battn was relieved by the 1st, 2nd Lincolns, the relief worked successfully. A heavy gas bombardment was put down at 12.30 (midnight) and lasted until 4am. During this time 5000-7000 shells fell between the support line to Brigade HQ. All the battn passed through this, in some cases gas shells fell within a few feet of the men. 2Lt Thompson received a very severe wound from one of these which fell between his legs.'

That makes me wince a little. I'd advise getting his file from Kew when you are able as this may give you considerable more information as to his injuries and background.

Kind regards

Colin

Thank you ever so much for the information. Sounds like a rather unpleasant incident. I'll update once I have the service file although that might not be for a while.

Thanks again.

Johnnie