Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British ultra large caliber guns in action - video

egbert

egbert,

A great film, and so interesting to actually see the troops and those big guns in action with all that entailed.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

LF

Egbert none of these links to videos work, just a black screen, must be a problem at the IWM end.

Reports "error on page"

Norman

I agree with Norm, just a black screen, no 'play' icon.

khaki

Yup, an error for me - I think we've broken it chaps.... :doh:

Same here now. All 17 other European film institute's digitalized WW1 films still work perfect. It is only the IWM that stopped working. I hope it is only temporary and the IWM still participates in the centenary project. For the meantime please watch the videos I have tagged "Bundesarchiv".

No error message, no black screen just endlessly buffering. Egbert could you perhaps put a warning on the thread title until it is working? Save a lot of wasted time and frustration

Sadly it affects ALL IWM videos. I cannot add a warning to ALL IWM videos I posted here -too many already. I believe they are working on the problem.....if not- somebody in England call them :hypocrite:

Thought this was just me with these latest from Egbert. Pity though they are not working what has been on until now have been great. Mike

It would be reasonable to assume that by now someone at the IWM or in particular their IT support would have spotted the fact that all of the films on the site are unwatchable. It would appear that some sort of so-called update or changes may have been made to the web site causing this problem so do those responsible ever look at the site as a user would in which case this would be sorted by now. Bit of an unfortunate period for the IWM as far as the forum is concerned for our member Skipman has kindly posted links to the IWM panoramic photos which unfortunately are not actually panoramic but a series of individual images which in my opinion is quite pointless.

Norman

I think the panoramic photos are interesting in themselves, but totally agree that they would be better viewed in their entirety. Perhaps it's just not feasible?

Might have to buy a book for that? :whistle:

Mike

It would be reasonable to assume that by now someone at the IWM or in particular their IT support would have spotted the fact that all of the films on the site are unwatchable. It would appear that some sort of so-called update or changes may have been made to the web site causing this problem so do those responsible ever look at the site as a user would in which case this would be sorted by now. Bit of an unfortunate period for the IWM as far as the forum is concerned for our member Skipman has kindly posted links to the IWM panoramic photos which unfortunately are not actually panoramic but a series of individual images which in my opinion is quite pointless.

Norman

I agree with both points made.

Why do they post panorama pictures which are none but a row of single frames?

Just a brief diversion from the topic, even if you save one of the panoramic frames then you will find that the size of 1.93 inches by 1.26 inches at 300 dpi renders it useless for “stitching together” a proper panorama, so I cannot really see the point of making these available in their present form. As for the film problem this really requires sorting quickly given the damage to the credibility of the IWM that the present situation must be causing.

Norman

PS I have of course emailed the IWM on the subject of the films

Norman

I doubt that there are any technical support staff working over the weekend