Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambridge Military Hospital at Aldershot

Seadog

I am afraid that the Daily Mail has published yet another article which may be of interest to members. This place must have be filled with some horrific scenes where according to the newspaper article:

“The British Empire’s first plastic surgery unit opened by British military doctor Captain Giles in 1915 and treated troops disfigured in the catastrophic Battle of the Somme the following year”.

Link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2419814/A-haunting-look-inside-state-art-military-hospital-Images-crumbling-buildings-soldiers-Somme-treated.html

Norman

Thank you for the link Norman,allways find your posts very interesting

Gerry

When plans for the CMH have been discussed, over the years, in the local press, the bell tower has alway been shown as being preserved. I really hope it is, there is very little of the Victorian Military Buildings left in the town.

I enjoyed the odd visit to the CMH A&E, prior to the opening of the Frimley Park Hospital, and I also had the honour to speak to a number of Falkland Casualties being treated there, shortly after their arrival from the South Atlantic.

It is a shame to see what the hospital has become.

Sepoy

I well remember taking patients to the A&E there during my first few years with Surrey Ambulance Service; another NHS institution that sadly no longer exists.

Andy

• 5 years later...

Featured in last night's (2/11/18) Portillo's Hidden History of Britain, Series 2, episode 1, (available on catch-up - My5 - until 2/11/19) with views of the hospital's interior after 20 years of closure prior to the sites re-development (said to be shortly), and extensive coverage of Harold Gillies pioneering work on facial reconstruction there during the Great War.

NigelS