Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peaky Blinders - review

Pighills

....but in the very first episode started with some excellent horsemanship from him.

I thought from the previous series he had Gipsy forebears which might explain the horsemanship.

NigelS

To perfect the distortion, we hear the London Jewish Godfather saying how he killed an Italian in the trenches by jamming a nail up his nose.

To cite British veterans claiming that they were at Verdun is bad enough ; to have them recalling hand to hand combat against the Italians really does cross a line....unless the episode occurred on the Russian front, and involved an Italian subject of the Austro Hungarian army.

There : bitch over....it's good drama and deserves high marks if you don't mind unalloyed hype.

Phil (PJA)

tonyAgree but would you argue with Tom Hardy! :devilgrin:

I enjoy watching this programme watched the first series and thought it showed well the mental torture the men who were digging the tunnels under the enemy must have gone through. Hardly surprising some of the characters portrayed in this documentary behave like they do.

Did you note the allusion to " fragging" in last Thursday's episode ?

Posh lady at the horse auction is intrigued by Shelby ; Shelby's kinfolk are raucous about upper class totty looking for a bit of rough....this is because so many of the officers had been killed and the posh girls had been left short ; a guffawing comment follows "...if the Germans didn't kill them, then we did ! " Not exact words, but it more or less reflects the banter.

This is so hyped up and caricatured ....but I love it.

Phil (PJA)

For what its worth my grandfather was a bank teller at a bank where Mr Capone did his banking in Chicago. After attending a funeral where the classic gangster drive by with machine guns occurred he and the family decided to moveto California.

I'm sure in person it was much more frightening than in the movies!

The Somme and Verdun gaffe made it onto the BBC 'Points of View' programme. The programme makers' rather patronising response drew further fire the following week, one correspondent describing it as the most idiotic reply they had ever heard to a complaint.

Were any Forum Pals involved?

• 4 months later...

For those living in Europe without UK television, Peaky Blinders starts on the Arte channel this Thursday evening. Given the mixed reception by Forum Pals, I will at least give it a try.

Cheers Martin B

Martin

I found it a very good series - the WW1 bits are neither here nor there. The acting is first rate, the storyline very strong, and it is moody and dark and full of tension.

Oh, and the theme tune Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is well chosen.

TR

Martin

I found it a very good series - the WW1 bits are neither here nor there. The acting is first rate, the storyline very strong, and it is moody and dark and full of tension.

Oh, and the theme tune Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is well chosen.

TR

Thanks Terry

Arte also does subtitles, which I may need

Cheers Martin B

• 8 months later...

Hello all.

Is there not going to be a follow up series then.

As the last finished i was left with the impression that it would continue, have i missed something?

Up date welcome Pals.

Cheers all.

Cheers all for the up date.

Very much looking forward to it.

G.T.K.

"Capone was apparently very philanthropic and generous to charities".

So was Pablo Escobar!

If you get the people to like/love you it affords you a degree of acceptance whatever you do.

They'll go as far as killing law enforcement for you.

The Krays tortured and murdered, they also loved their Mum and handed out sweets to kids and money to the poor!

• 5 months later...

Not forgetting the mini series "1922-1924 the missing years"

Return

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching this and whilst not set in WWI, it has many referenes to it. The flashbacks and after affects the men have portrayed so far are brillant.

It will be interesting to see how this develops and what other references they will use from WWI.

Well certainly referencing back to the GW in tonight's episode with a reunion of 'claykickers' & plans to use them to tunnel into an underground vault. It will be interesting to see how this story line continues. Disappointed that the Cossacks didn't have snow on their boots...

NigelS

• 5 years later...

I'm a bit behind with this and half watched an episode tonight. I probably wasn't paying too much attention to it and wasn't too struck on it. Should I persevere?

Noticed this on wiki

"Shelby is a former British soldier and his war record states that he fought bravely at the Battle of Verdun and the Battle of Somme. His actions at Mons reportedly saved thousands of allied lives, for which he received medals of honour after the War, including the Military Medal and the Distinguished Conduct Medal. " ????

Mike

I must admit to being a fan of Peaky Blinders and the first episode of this series was very good in paying a tribute to the late Helen McCrory and quickly getting into the aims of the gang.

This week's episode would be best described as a scene setter for what is coming up. Shelby seems to be setting up Alfie Solomons (whose conclusion on Irish history was quite amusing) and the mysterious Jack Nelson (Joseph Kennedy?) together with the IRA for a fall. Possibly.

I enjoyed the episode and I will be sticking with it but I appreciate that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.