Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On this day 1916...A letter home...

LEUZEWOOD

My great grandfather Private 4536 Thomas Godfrey signed up for the 4th Battalion London Regiment in the late summer of 1915, after which he was posted to France in March of 1916. His battalion were in action at Gommecourt on July 1st, and at the battle of Ginchy on 9/9/16, and at some point around that time he sustained a wound to his ankle. He was admitted to 4 General Hospital in Camiers on 10/9/16, and the following is a letter written to his wife by Sister Lucy Pownall Deakin on this day in 1916...

post-77311-0-57409700-1379016135_thumb.j

What a sobering letter. We should always remember the repercussions which "wounded in action" can have.

He didn't survive?

CGM

looks that way

Name:

Thomas Godfrey

Birth Place: Whitechapel

Residence: Dalston

Death Date: 13 Sep 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Shaftesbury Street, N. Rank

: Private Regiment: London Regiment Battalion: 4th (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) Number: 4536

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

regards Ray

looks that way

Name:

Thomas Godfrey

Birth Place: Whitechapel

Residence: Dalston

Death Date: 13 Sep 1916

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Shaftesbury Street, N. Rank

: Private Regiment: London Regiment Battalion: 4th (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) Number: 4536

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

regards Ray

He actually died on 14th. I have a letter from the nurse written on that day, real heartbreaking stuff. It would seem more poignant to post it tomorrow.

Regards

Tom

No problem Ray, I appreciate your interest.

Sad...the first letter full of hope and then...

Roger

Tom, a superb contribution, thank you. When I was talking about numbers of killed and wounded while taking my friends around the battlefields last week I tried to use a specific example to bring home what each number meant in terms of human suffering. I used the last letter of Cpl. John Duesbery to his mother as he lay in a shell hole badly wounded which is quoted in Peter Barton's Somme book; we read it out overlooking the Quadrilateral at Ginchy. This letter and I am sure it's tragic twin is every bit as heartbreaking. I too look forward to reading it.

Pete.

Thank you Pete, only too happy to share, and glad they are of interest.

There is an immense power and gravitas to any letters from the front, they give a real insight into personal stories and tragedies at a level that the history books rarely cover. Sadly we don't have any letters from my great grandfather, but feel extremely lucky that this very kind nurse of the Great War took the time to write to my great grandmother, and of course that the letters were kept passed down.

I don't have Peter Barton's book, but would be interested in seeing the letter you describe - are you able to share it or can you point me in the right direction please?

Tom

Tom

The original letter from John Duesbery's pocket book is reproduced on the back cover of Peter Barton's "The Somme: A New Panoramic Perspective" published by Constable (2006) and transcribed on page 221 courtesy of the Duesbery family.

Dear Mother

I am writing these few lines severely wounded. We have done well our Batt. advanced about 3 quarters of a mile. I am laid in a shell hole with 2 wounds in my hip and through my back. I cannot move or crawl. I have been here for 24 hours and never seen a living soul. I hope you will receive these few of lines as I don’t expect anyone will come to take me away, but you know I have done my duty out here now for 1 year and 8 months and you will always have the consolation that I died quite happy doing my Duty. Must give my Best of Love to all the cousins who (have) been so kind to me time I have been out here. And the Best of Love to Mother and Harry + all at Swinefleet. XXX.

Corporal John Duesbery. 2nd Sherwood Foresters, Notts & Derbyshire Regiment, missing in action near the Ginchy Quadrilateral 13th September 1916. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial (as Dewsbury).

As you so rightly say; words of immense power. Maybe not Shakespeare, but then I'm not aware that the Bard ever composed while wounded.

Pete.

Quite incredible. What tremendous bravery and foresight in the face of death, that he would leave some small words of comfort for his family when many would have nothing but a name on a memorial.

Thanks Pete.

Almost forgot; the extract above is copyright Peter Barton (2006). Apologies.

I completely concur with your reaction Tom; incredible is the word, I can't recommend the book highly enough.

Pete.

So here is the sad conclusion to my little story. It's hard to put into words the emotions it stirs towards someone I never knew, however, if it's not too crass to say, in some ways it keeps a part of him still alive, his strength of character, his courage and personality.

What is equally moving is the description of the cemetery. To think even then (albeit in the midst of a bloody war), that this 'little place' was as it is now, a haven of peace, tranquility and remembrance.

We will always remember them.

post-77311-0-53243100-1379161901_thumb.j

"All his little belongings..." Lump in throat time

Roger

Tom

Couldn't have put it better myself; I don't know what the opposite of crass is but this is it. This is a wonderful post and I hope it's not just me feeling a raw mix of emotions reading it; the little cast of characters are very much alive in my mind. I've never been to Eatapples but If I do go I'd certainly like to see the peaceful, beautiful little place amongst the dunes.

Thanks again,

Pete.

Thanks Pete.

His is a fairly unremarkable story compared to some. We'll never know for sure whether he ever actually engaged in front line action. And yet, he was there, he 'did his bit'.

I'm biased, but I would recommend a visit to Etaples. It's not too much of a detour if you're travelling down to the battlefields. I first went there with my family whilst on holiday in the 80s. I was only 14, but the experience had a profound effect on me (clearly!). I remember vividly, walking down the path from the small and unassuming entrance, with only the cross of sacrifice visible at the end set against the bright blue sky. At that point there is little indication of the sheer size and scale of the place, but as I got closer a dramatic panorama opened up. It was simply breathtaking. A sea of white reflecting the summer sun. I wasn't aware of the letter back then, but it's all the more poignant now each time I visit.

post-77311-0-18470500-1379169442_thumb.j

Tom

Many thanks for posting the concluding letter

a bit of a tear jerker

I'm sure Sister Lucy P Deakin, The writer of the letters is researchable

Regards Ray

Ray,

I'm glad you picked up on the sub plot! We have been researching Lucy for a few years now and have managed to piece together some semblance of her life story.

In brief, she was born in Stockport in 1884 and worked as a nurse at the London Hospital before the war (as my great grandfather was born in Whitechapel, I often wonder if this is why they may have made a connection). She served the entirety of the war in the QAIMNS, after which she moved to London to become a school nurse. She retired to North Wales, to a village called Llysfaen in the 60s I believe, where she lived with her sister. To my knowledge, neither ever married. She died in 1974 and was buried with her sister in the village cemetery. For various reasons, we have only recently been able to locate her grave, and plan to make a trip to pay our respects as a family to this remarkable woman very soon.

As you can tell, she has become a special part of our family history. We have never seen a picture of her, and as she had no children, it has been difficult to trace any living relatives. We were however lucky enough, via the local vicar, to speak to someone in the village who knew her, however the memories of 40 years ago have faded somewhat.

I am aware of Sue Light's expertise on this forum, perhaps she may be worth approaching?

Interesting addition on Lucy by CGM

I think Lucy P Deakin deserves a thread on her own

where forum members can post any information or letters written by Lucy they have, or have come across

or any info regarding her life

Are you up for it Tom

Regards Ray

Wow, thanks CGM! Can I ask how you found it - is the archive easily searchable? It would be incredible to find other letters. So far, other than her service record from the NA, I have little else in terms of letters or documentation. My knowledge base doesn't really extend much beyond the research of soldiers.

I suppose this letter was slightly different to ours in that it was a reply to an enquiry, and yet the tone is very similar. She clearly had an enormous amount of compassion and empathy for her patients and their families.

Our letters have thrown up many questions for us that are unlikely ever to be answered, one of which is her motivation to write on such a personal level, and was it something she undertook on a regular basis? The example you have provided goes a long way to answering that.

Thanks once again.

Interesting addition on Lucy by CGM

I think Lucy P Deakin deserves a thread on her own

where forum members can post any information or letters written by Lucy they have, or have come across

or any info regarding her life

Are you up for it Tom

Regards Ray

Ray,

Was busy replying to CGM when your post came up.

I am most definitely up for that - I guess for more relevant coverage this would need to be a new thread in the 'Women' section?

To add another dimension - Miss L.P. DEAKIN, (Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S Res) is listed as an Associate (A.R.R.C.) wef 1.Jan 1917, on page 507 of Army Honours and Awards as reprinted by J.B.HAYWOOD and Son ISBN 0 903754 06 1.

No doubt Miss DEAKIN is worthy of further research especially as you have her signature on the letter of the 12 Sept 1916.

Philip

What a moving story. I did some research on Sister Lucy Deakin and found that she was awarded the Royal Red Cross. It was posted in the London Gazette on Monday January 1 1917 and she was decorated by the King at Buckingham Palace on Thursday April 3 1919.

The award was given to a fully trained nurse who had shown exceptional devotion and competency in the performance of nursing duties over a continuous and long period or who has performed some act of bravery and devotion at her post of duty.

Hope this is of interest

Ray,

We have been researching Lucy for a few years now <snip> . She retired to North Wales, to a village called Llysfaen in the 60s I believe, where she lived with her sister. To my knowledge, neither ever married. She died in 1974 and was buried with her sister in the village cemetery. For various reasons, we have only recently been able to locate her grave, and plan to make a trip to pay our respects as a family to this remarkable woman very soon.

If anyone is interested in following this up for Tom, St Cynfran, Llysfaen, is at OS grid reference SH 8933 7747.

The churchyard appears to be the only cemetery in the village.

I cannot check the burial register online, so am not 100% certain this is the burial ground where Lucy Deakin is interred.

Could not find the exact postcode for you satnav users, but LL29 8SW will drop you to the caravan park just to the west of the church.

HTH

Mark