Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance

GNJ

• Admin
1 hour ago, Miriam Martens said:

Hello, 

I am currently doing a project for the my M.A. at McMaster University and was wondering if anyone could tell me whereabouts the 1/3 W. Riding Field Ambulance was located in February-April 1919 during demobilization? 

War Diary shows that they were at Le Forest from the 1st January 1919 moving to Douai on the 17 February.  Men were being sent for dispersal in small numbers three to five at a time otherwise the diary reports, 'Nothing to report'.

The diary continues to the 25 June 1919 when the final cadre embarked Boulogne for the UK.  Probably Clipstone Camp.

The Sheffield Daily Independent of 27 June 1919 reported the imminent return of the final cadre to be met by their demobilised comrades for a celebratory dinner.

The Sheffield Telegraph 13 September published a letter notifying the formation of an Old Comrades Association.

Ken

• 1 year later...
On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 17:00, Clear Bell said:

Just noticed this post - and would like to ask if you are able to confirm that William was at the Royal College of Art some point before the outbreak of the war? I think I have found him in the 1911 census living with two other "art students" at 84 Kings Road, Fulham and all studying at the RCA. I am not sure when he left and have not been able to locate his student file: I have been researching students and ex-students from the college at the time.

Clear Bell 

Having just seen this; William would have been my 1st cousin, 2 removed. I can confirm from my own research that William attended the Sheffield School of Art where he met his future wife Phyllis Lawton. William also attended the RCA. The RCA are (were?) establishing a project to commemorate all their alumni who served in the Great War and contacted me requesting confirmation of information on William including whether my ancestor was in fact the William Northend they had listed, which of course he was. 

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have found this thread searching for information on my Grandad Walter Briggs. Did the diaries end up somewhere public where I can search for any mention of him?

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Sheffield Jim said:

Hi, I have found this thread searching for information on my Grandad Walter Briggs. Did the diaries end up somewhere public where I can search for any mention of him?

Hi and welcome to the forum

You can download the war diary from the TNA for a fraction more than the price of a Sunday newspaper £3.50

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354651

It is also available on Ancestry here if you subscribe.  However as he is a close relative I'd recommend the TNA option as it is easier to follow the narrative.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

• 1 year later...
On 12/09/2013 at 18:54, bigronhartley said:

Hello GNJ

Welcome to the forum, I read with great interest about the Diary kept by your Grandfather, W F Northend, who served with the 1/3 West Riding Field Ambulance.I am researching Cpl Herbert Bower, 422 and later 405247, Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial Force) who was awarded the Military Medal whilst serving with the 1/3 West Riding Field Ambulance (a Sheffield based unit) during the Great War. The award was notified in the London Gazette dated 28 January, 1918 and shows that Cpl Bower was from Sheffield. I would be most grateful for any information regarding his Military Medal and the actions that his unit were involved in around the end of 1917. Hoping that you might be able to help.

Regards

Ron

I have been trying to find where I can read The Leadswinger and read your item about the West Riding Field Ambulance.My Grandfather Alfred Turton served in a Field Ambulance from Yorkshire would you be able to tell me if he is mentioned in the diary you have