Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded in Dublin Hospitals From 29th Oct1914,to 23 Jan 1917

Don

Hi Gaynor, Unfortunately I didn't come across your Granddad in my search.

If you give me a PM I will reply

Regards

• 1 year later...
On 19/07/2016 at 21:28, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Excellent work.

You will have Frederick Charles Keenor, Acting Sgt., 19281 (or maybe 628, or F/653 or 2387) 17th Btn Middlesex Regiment.

He was in Dublin Castle Red Cross Hospital from 4/8/16 to 31/8/16 then Princess Patricia Hospital, Bray from 31/8/16 to 15/9/16 with GSW Left Thigh.

He nearly lost his leg, but it was saved by the hard work of the Irish surgeons and nursing staff.

On April 23rd 1927, he lifted the FA Cup at Wembley as captain of the victorious Cardiff City team.

DBYS, Have you any list of soldiers from Royal Munster Fusiliers who may have had artificial limbs fitted at the Princess Patricia Royal Hospital in Bray soon after September 1916. My Granddad Thomas Lynch No. 6619 was wounded on or about the 8th. September 1916 and was supposed to have an artificial leg fitted there.

I'm sorry Witherbeaten, no I don't.

I only know of Fred Keenor's time spent there because of his unique place in Welsh sporting history.

• 3 months later...

Hi Witherbeaten,

I will check my records 

• 10 months later...

Dear Don,  I am really very interested in looking at the Dublin Hospital records no matter what format. I have tried messaging. Best regards Robert Simpson (Dublin)

Just following up with detail. My grandfather James Boyle Blayney SIMPSON or James B Simpson (born 1891) was a Gunner in the RFA (reg nr 100466) and RGA (reg nr 168014).  He was injured twice and I think he spent some time in the Red Cross Hospital in Dublin Castle in 1915/1916 following injury. He never spoke of his first serious injury but used to joke about the 2nd injury which was due to a comrade dropping a shell and breaking a bone in in his foot. I have found one record of him in a field hospital for the latter injury.      Thankfully, he survived the war and died in 1982.

By any chance would you have any records of him from Dublin Castle.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.