Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Gerald Stewart Andrewes, Army Service Corps

Sepoyjack

Hello everyone

I am looking for information on 527 Pte G S Andrewes, ASC who served 11.8.14 to 14.9.17, when he was discharged as unfit, aged 43. He was in France from 14.8.14 to 17.1.16. I have his service record along with information about his earlier Boer War service with the Yeomanry.

On 1.12.1918 he was awarded the Croix de Guerre as a member of Section Sanitaire Anglaise Nr 1 (SSA 1) for his work in 1918 in the Verdun, Kemmel and Marne sectors. He is listed as a volunteer 'on Red Cross and Kindred War Work for the French up to 31.12.1917' in Laurence Binton's book 'For Dauntless France.'

His ASC service record indicates that he was 'lorry driving in France & Belgium', so my guess is that he volunteered (through the Red Cross?) between September and December 1917, and then drove ambulances for the French. I imagine that this could be very hazardous.

I am interested in any specific information about Andrewes himself in France and/ or photographs of him. He is frequently misspelt 'Andrews', which adds to the fun when searching for him.

I am equally interested in the process of such volunteering at the time; the type of work that units such as SSA 1 did; the conditions in which they worked; and any statistics in the numbers of volunteers doing similar work or the number of volunteer civilians awarded the Croix de Guerre. Are there any stories of people like him?

While Andrewes received the Great War trio from the British, the Croix de Guerre is his only French medal.

Thanks. Can anybody help please?