Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Really? How Many Others Are Going To Pop Up Now?

Pighills

The centenaries are coming up. It is not surprising that newspapers (and the Daily Mail) are starting to jump on the "wagon, band, GS".

Ron

It's about time (actually not, please) that the media again featured a very old postcard, sometimes from a WWI soldier, that has only just been delivered, giving a good chance to poke fun at Royal Mail. Dozens of such cards can be bought for a quid or two each at a postcard fair, so what a joke for someone to pop one through the letter-box of an address that still exists a hundred years later.

Possibly like this one which, although I can't find a thread, is likely to have been discussed at the time Click

Oddly, the case of an alleged immediately pre WWII postcard which 'reappeared' after 74 years was reported in yesterday's Telegraph (12th September; not available on line it appears) . According to the paper, this one, apparently describing a holiday trip, was addressed to John & Alice Thomas of 4, Albany Grove, Upper Dovercourt (an address that's since changed) was sent from Menton on the SE coast of France on June 23, 1944 and signed "Love Gordon and M" turned up at the Dovercourt sorting office recently.

NigelS

You are all a bunch of cynics - there is clearly something other worldly going on. Look at the trio of photos again. The one on the bottom with Ms Lambert leaning on her adverting board. Then expand the picture and look at the window just next to the white post box there is clearly the ghostly apparition of a human face and then just next to it is a hazy figure which is clearly a ghost in ectoplasmic form - or an Alien Grey!

The truth is out there!!!

or an Alien Grey!

Lovely bird, the Alien Grey. Beautiful plumage.

Says he got shot down. I must be one of those lazy researchers, because I never knew that the RFA flew.

As usual, Sepoy was spot on.

http://blogs.slq.qld.gov.au/jol/2012/08/

Scroll down and you will see him... not Driver Peel, but David James Garland. Of Perth. Not the one in Scotland.

Wish I could take credit for finding it, but some clever person posted it on the DM website comments.

Regards

Ian

Phew, just as well that sheep was there or he could have done himself a nasty accident by falling through the shop front.

That Big Bird is a right Muppet.

Bernard

I expect all the other newspapers (and the Guardian) will be running their weird W.W.1 stories soon.