Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Really? How Many Others Are Going To Pop Up Now?

Pighills

That's the least ghost like image i've ever seen.........and the cynical person inside me thinks 'that's good for business'

That's the least ghost like image i've ever seen.........and the cynical person inside me thinks 'that's good for business'

Me too also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, The Daily Mail, say no more :w00t:

Andy

I don't have a person inside - I do all my own cynicism - and I agree with posts 2 & 3. However images on shop windows is a cut above pictures on bagels, chicken nuggets, corn flakes etc. - not much of one though. Have to go Field marshal Haig is tapping on my study window and I need to get my camera - "hang on sir won't be a tick"

Elvis in a boiled egg is so common it’s hardly worth mentioning!

Norman

Mcgonagall I hope you are referring to?

UNfortunately the picture has been excorcised from GWF but does anyone else remember Peter Hart's photo of the ghost of HMS Warspite in Delville Wood?

How could we forget. An absolute classic. Just for you Glen Click

Mike

Cheers Mike.

I obviously didn't go far enough down the search results. :blush:

Glen

Don't beat yourself up Glen. It actually wasn't there. I contacted the Ghost of our dear departed PMHart, and he spirited up the image. Honest! He's a medium, well, actually, probably large, or is that lager?

Mike

Mike

Scoured all the names on the cenotaph to find a resemblance...

Is there a cenotaph with photos of all the men inscribed thereon?

Hmm. Didn't think so.

Great bit of Advertising for a small Card Shop, would have cost a fortune! Also did the Great War cost the lives of 8 Million Brits (British)?

Ray

Actually, Ray, in a tawdry tale in a tawdry (ahem) "newspaper", I found the use of the disgusting term "Brits" possibly the most offensive part.

The ghost is definitely Lord Lucan and I'm pretty sure that sheep has the look of 'Shergar' about it!

It's about time (actually not, please) that the media again featured a very old postcard, sometimes from a WWI soldier, that has only just been delivered, giving a good chance to poke fun at Royal Mail. Dozens of such cards can be bought for a quid or two each at a postcard fair, so what a joke for someone to pop one through the letter-box of an address that still exists a hundred years later.

Moonraker

Actually, Ray, in a tawdry tale in a tawdry (ahem) "newspaper", I found the use of the disgusting term "Brits" possibly the most offensive part.

Do you know, I really detest the term "Brit" which crops up a lot over here.

H

It is a shame that the Soldier shown in uniform next to the photo of the shop window, is not in the Royal Field Artillery. He looks a bit Australian to me.........

Sepoy

As a local to the shop, I (this morning) provided the owner with further details about Friend Peel to answer her q's. How she arrived at his name out of all the 30 odd on the cenotaph is... unexplained.

The mail's picture is suspiciously much clearer than the one in the Yorkshire Evening Post, in which most people couldn't see a thing. Photoshop?

I also pointed out that the day the pic was taken was farsley festival, which features lots of military re-enactors wandering about... any one of whom could be reflected in the window.

Forgot to say, there's also the strange coincidence that they're starting to run ghost walks in farsley, starting at the card shop. First one in October...

Spooky?

Forgot to say, there's also the strange coincidence that they're starting to run ghost walks in farsley, starting at the card shop. First one in October...

Spooky?

Thank you, you have made me laugh :D

Overnight, a further thought occurs to me...

The daily filth's picture doesn't look very natural, if it was a reflection. The colours are odd, as are the cutout of the sleeve and fingers.

At first I thought it might have been a painting that they used as the source... but on further (ahem) reflection I realise that it looks exactly like a hand tinted b&w photograph.

If that's the case, it may well be the only remaining known pic of Friend Peel they used to make the fake. Hence the difficulty in showing another one of him...

The "aussie" pic is credited to a local picture library, Gazelian. Maybe his was the nearest face they could find to Peel's?

Can anyone positively id the badges on the soldier. And is he Gallipoli era?

(Oh and Pighills, thank you too. I like to make the ladies laugh)