Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have received a pic with possibly some dubious information

Bardess

Namely, that it was taken in 1917 and includes the Prince of Wales, Col H W Dakeyne and Capt Lord Claud Hamilton. What clues are to be found?

post-39423-0-29324100-1378892423_thumb.j

Well, it's certainly the Prince of Wales. Claud Hamilton wasn't appointed equerry until 1919 but, since he was awarded the MVO in 1916, an award which is in the gift of the monarch, he must have had some dealings with royalty.

Is the young Prince holding a Fag? And we moan about the example the Young Royals set now! :w00t:

Ray.

Everyone smoked then, and holding a cigarette was perfectly normal. It is only in the past couple of decades that smoking has rightly been shunned. So in a historic context nothing at all untoward. Remember the boxes of cigarettes sent to the troops by Queen Mary.

Remember the boxes of cigarettes sent to the troops by Queen Mary.

Sorry Padre - her daughter, Princess Mary.

Ron

Is this post 1918?

Not necessarily - Hamilton had the MVO and DSO at least and HRH would have had the usual medals which royals collect.

Thanks. Another piece in the puzzle. This all started when I found out that a Smethwick chap was Col Dakeyne's cook but I'm yet to find his name

Sorry Padre - her daughter, Princess Mary.

Ron

Although it was later revealed that the Queen was a cigarette smoker ("but never in public")

• 4 years later...

I've only just found this thread, but here's the answer, quoting from the "History of the 8th North Staffords":

During one of these periods of rest at COURCELLES, on 1st February, 1917, the Battalion was honoured by a visit from HRH The Prince of Wales attended by Captain Lord Claud Hamilton.  After lunch with the Officers he inspected the Battalion on parade, being subjected meanwhile to the attentions of the Army photographer, a sample of whose handiwork appeared in the press shortly afterwards.

Writing his Conclusions to the "History" in 1921  H. W. Dakeyne mentions his runner and batman Lance-Corporal Mayhew, aged around 19, who joined him as part of the New Army - is this the person you are seeking?  I can't find any mention of a cook.

Philip

HRH POW usually visited the Grenadiers on his trips.... the Grenadier Guards war diaries record HRH POW and Claude Hamilton on a number of occasions. For example 1st Bn. POW and Claude Hamilton joined the 1st Bn between 16th Feb and 2nd Mar 1916.

I think the visit to 8th Bn Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regt) is the most likely scenario. 

If you are looking for a post War visit; the most likely is the presentation of Colours to the 4th Bn in Cologne on 14th Jan 1919. A cold day by all accounts. It might also explain medal ribbons. I cant see how the CO of8th Staffs might appear in this scenario though... MG

Edited by Guest

Thank you, Philip, I shall check L/Cpl Mayhew out!

Thanks Martin. I was aware of the PoW visits to the GG's due to transcribing their diaries

From Eton to Ypres by Lt. Col Abel Smith - 2nd Grenadier Guards.  Page 110 - his diary reads. 

December 23rd 1914 - Left Bethune at 7am.  Halted in a field near Le Touret at 9.30 in readiness to support the 2nd Brigade.  It snowed hard and was very cold.  The Prince came with us and left about midday. 

Later January 6th 1915 - The Prince appeared again today, and brought us a gramophone.

Remembering Pte. H.Woodcock 25210 3rd G.G. who died on 5th Dec 1917.

jm