Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Regiment, Lonsdale Battalion

Ben3095

Ben

In short "no". I have seen the occasional medal on eb. A 1/7/16 single victory made somewhere near £400.

A genuine gilding metal cap badge (heavily faked) will cost £200 ish from good dealers, a silver h/m example £450 plus?

An officers battle stained tunic was sold a few years ago and aquired by their museum I believe.

I kick myself as 15 years ago I bought a 1/7/16 casualty trio for £185. There were two sets and I was offered both but could only afford one! Still have it though.

TT

Ben

In short "no". I have seen the occasional medal on eb. A 1/7/16 single victory made somewhere near £400.

A genuine gilding metal cap badge (heavily faked) will cost £200 ish from good dealers, a silver h/m example £450 plus?

An officers battle stained tunic was sold a few years ago and aquired by their museum I believe.

I kick myself as 15 years ago I bought a 1/7/16 casualty trio for £185. There were two sets and I was offered both but could only afford one! Still have it though.

TT

PS also have a post card to a 11th now identified via web. A 1917 casualty

TT

At the lower end of the market, you can still buy the casualty pairs for the Somme, mentioned in the book for around 250....just not those for the First Day. They probably wont be that price in 2016.

Here is a Lonsdale...be it a split group. Probably the only Lonsdale described as 11th for sale right now on the net.

http://www.sellmymilitaria.com/site/index.php?option=com_djclassifieds&view=item&cid=16:united-kingdom&id=972:ww1-11th-border-regt-medals-kia&Itemid=477

You need to put up an advertisement in the wants section of the forum.

Recently sold at auction two trios with plaques to brothers, both KIA 1st day of the Somme......£2500. I have two single 14/15 Stars to Lonsdales in my collection, one killed later in 1916 both picked up from Ebay.

Origanal Lonsdale mens medals are usually more expensive than later war men although recently later war men and non locals seem to be going up in price. I'd only be interested in local original members personally.

Last year from Ebay a colleague purchased a trio and plaque plus lots of original documentation for £1200. It did include original cap badge and a rare sweetheart brooch. He wasn't a 1st day somme casualty either!

If collecting badges, original badges go for up to £500 but watch out for the copies, there are many out there.

Oh.....earlier this month a plaque to a late war 11th was on ebay and a medal dealer had a plaque and single Victory, again to a later war non-local man.

Stuff always pops up.

Last year from Ebay a colleague purchased a trio and plaque plus lots of original documentation for £1200. It did include original cap badge and a rare sweetheart brooch. He wasn't a 1st day somme casualty either!

Featured in the Medal News. Nice bit of press for your friend. Price was most certainly inflated due to the badge......but how often is it you see an attributed badge with everything else with it? Will probably get his money back on the badge alone if he decided to sell next year.

He has already received a number of offers! Regarding badges, you really need to know what you are looking for. I have seen them on other forums showing "original" badges but the example shown is a clear copy!

• 8 months later...

Any comments on this one? Came in the effects of Sergt G R Snowden 1/5th KO LR.

post-11424-0-74036600-1402147130_thumb.j

post-11424-0-16784000-1402147151_thumb.j

Mark

Unless seen in the flesh always difficult BUT from the images I think yes. I like the "patina" if thT is what it is. I say that because it is probably a factory applied finish never polished off. I like that.

The shape and definition look good and clear.

Very like mine bought 15 years ago from Bosley. My Gaunt plaque is on the upper title scroll but that's immaterial. Lugged exactly like your example.

Now whilst here anyone a guess what a 1914/15 trio (no plaque) to a 1/7/16 casualty commemorated on Thiepval is worth? Pte Skelton.

Thanks

TT

Hi

mark holden

That badge looks like a good original! I wish I could get my hands on an original!

Trenchrotter its hard to estimate a price as they are so up and down but £300-400 is my guess?

Ben thanks but I think way off. A 1/7/16 trio usually kicks off at £600. A 17th Liverpool trio and docs hit £790 on ebay last week. A 11th Lonsdales?

TT

Mark

Is this the same featured on the badge forum but as a collar?

TT

TT, yes it is but I am advised that the dimensions make it a cap badge. 4.5cm from tip to tip of scroll. 4cm from bottom of the base scroll to tip of the wing. Also glanced a Buywyze back catalogue and they have a couple listed but sold.

regards

Mark

I thought so. I would agree.... Cap.

Regards

TT

• 2 weeks later...

That is not an original Lonsdale badge that demands a high price. The expensive ones were issued to original members and made of silver and are hallmarked. The hallmarked ones are also those that are copied the most.

This is a later badge and certainly worth a fraction of the original silver ones.

Hussarbob,

We know the first contingent had hall marked silver examples made by Sebastian Garrard. They were allegedly stolen in camp at the time. However brass examples were issued and are original and still command 40 or 50% of the price of the silver ones. Can go for £200! Marks example is IMHO a genuine example.

Regards

TT

Hussarbob,

We know the first contingent had hall marked silver examples made by Sebastian Garrard. They were allegedly stolen in camp at the time. However brass examples were issued and are original and still command 40 or 50% of the price of the silver ones. Can go for £200! Marks example is IMHO a genuine example.

Regards

TT

That is not an original Lonsdale badge that demands a high price. The expensive ones were issued to original members and made of silver and are hallmarked. The hallmarked ones are also those that are copied the most.

This is a later badge and certainly worth a fraction of the original silver ones.

There are three copies of the silver badge.

The first is produced in white medal....wouldn't fool a novice collector due to its crude quality.

The second is marked 'silver' on the reverse. No badge to the Longdales was marked silver. Wouldn't fool anyone.

The third is cast in silver slightly smaller with blurred hallmarks with a cast line running through the marks. Pay particular attention to the last two.

The most faked examples is the one above, most commonly found in brass, all over the internet. The third type fake which I mention is actually less common than an original silver badge.

Those gaunt plaques have been faked and made an appearance on mass in the mid 1990s particularly on RND badges. Just because a badge has such a plaque it does not always make it genuine.

However, please don't take my word for it, or anyone else on the net, I suggest you do some research yourself by looking at known good examples offered through respected sale rooms and in trusted holdings of the relevant regimental museums.