Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Walter Wilson Johnston, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

mhifle

Hi,

I am having a problem finding any information on this man, there does not seem to be a Medal Card?

Also seems not be listed on the CWGC site.

Regards Mark

post-14045-0-22846700-1378759993_thumb.j

Hi Mark,

It is quite possible that he had no overseas service which would qualify him for any WW1 medals. Having said that I have just checked the Feb 1919 Army List and find him listed under the 1st and 2nd Bns R.D.F., which shows him as serving with the 2nd Bn and also that he became Lieutenant on 27/4/18. The Oct.1917 Army List shows him with 2nd Bn and shows his commission date as 27/10/16--so it is hard to see how he has no MIC/medal entitlement?

Robert

He looks like a candidate for the "In from the cold project".

His death was registered in Monaghan District, Ireland

1920 Apr.-May--June quarter

Volume 3 page 151

There is an English Probate record for him 1920

JOHNSTON Walter Wilson of Swan Park Monaghan Lieutenant R.D.F. died 17 May 1920 Administration Armagh to Walter Johnston stationmaster. Effects £121 1s 5d. in England. Sealed London 1 July

His service record file ref. is WO339/78243 Date range 1 January 1914 - 31 December 1922.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for those details, I have also tried the London Gazette with no luck so far.

I did find this Probate listing.

Regards Mark

Thanks HarryBrook

Regards Mark

post-14045-0-42180900-1378762387_thumb.j

Johnston-In loving memory of Lieutenant Walter Johnston, 2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who died of illness contracted on active service, May 11th, 1920, dearly beloved only child of Mr and Mrs Johnston, Frederick House, Lurgan, and formerly of Monaghan.

His service record is at TNA

WO 339/78243

He is not in index of the history of either 1st or 2nd RDF

His entry in 1911 census

and in 1901 census

I think he must have enlisted in 1914 in another regiment and his Medal Card might not include his commission

Regards Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Old Owl

In your post to mhifle you mentioned having searched the Army Lists. I think I've heard of it before but do not know how to research it. Where can I locate the "Army Lists"?

Thanks

momsirish

• 1 month later...
Guest paulkerr76

Hi everyone, as this is my first post forgive me if I somehow make a hash of this.

I teach at Walter's old school, Royal School Dungannon, and have been trying to find out about him too. I can tell you that he was a pupil here from 1913 to 1915. He was admitted to Sandhurst on 27/4/1916, receiving his commission with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers on 27/10/1916.

His name appears on our school roll of honour and his photo in the 1st XV rugby team for the 1914-15 season. If anyone has any more info, I'd love to find out more.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi,

Looking at the Army Lists he is with the 3rd Battalion in 1916, 2nd Battalion in 1917, 2nd Battalion in 1918, and the 1st Battalion in 1919

Regards Mark