Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28th BN MM & Pair on ebay

Terry

Hi Derek,

I see that a nice MM and pair, dog tags,etc. to 887411 L.Cpl.Daniel McLeod,28th Bn. is on ebay, with about five hours to go.

Mcleod was born on Prince Edward Island but was farming in the west when he joined the 188th Bn in Jan.,1916.

A nice group to a good unit.

:P Thanks for that Terry, much appreciated.

I just hope none of the vultures with deep pockets have spotted them :(

ps I see Broznitsky is currently snooping about on the Forum..................he wouldn't recognise a good unit if it bit him on the nose (allegedly :P )

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Hi Derek,

I see that a nice MM and pair, dog tags,etc. to 887411 L.Cpl.Daniel McLeod,28th Bn. is on ebay, with about five hours to go.

Mcleod was born on Prince Edward Island but was farming in the west when he joined the 188th Bn in Jan.,1916.

Looks worth a punt.

Pte. Broznitsky thinks: "That looks like a working party from the 28th, led by that blighter Robertson, but they have strayed far off the path. I wonder if they know the password? Best let loose a few rounds to give them a warning . . ."

post-23-1095712055.jpg

I was the highest bidder with 11 seconds to go. :angry:

Methinks that SNIPING software has a lot to do with the fact that I was outbid :angry:

The set went for US $1,126.00 (Approximately £628.37)............................

..........................I'm off for a sulk..........................................

Bad luck Derek,

I watched the last few minutes of the auction and thought you had it.

Next time,

Derek

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I was the highest bidder with 11 seconds to go.  :angry:

Methinks that SNIPING software has a lot to do with the fact that I was outbid  :angry:

The set went for US $1,126.00 (Approximately £628.37)............................

..........................I'm off for a sulk..........................................

Unfortunately a public announcement was there for all to see and another Forum member took advantage - NOT me by the way.

Maybe a lesson there

I'm off to borrow Pte. Broznitsky's gun

Hi Derek,

Sorry to hear that your bid fell short, and as Ian mentioned, perhaps my message alerted others. It might have been better for me to contact you off-line.

Hopefully the group is in a good new home.

Cheers,

Terry

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Terry,

Apologies - it wasn't a subtle dig - it was a desirable group and a high bid/risk situation. As both David Bluestein and I have agreed before, there are occasions when some of the 'Pals' lack the comaraderie one would.................ummmm..............hope for.

However what goes round comes around ;)

Cheers - Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes, I guess all's fair... Actually, I have found that quite a few folks are pretty decent about not cutting each other's throats on ebay. Certainly I recall some time back that I was bidding on a particular group, and a fellow collector in Ontario backed off from bidding as soon as he saw my name. I have done the same, with people I have built up a relationship with.

Obviously, there are also collectors out there who would sell their first born to acquire a certain group. Nothing is going to stop them.

derek,i was sniped a month back on e bay with seconds to go. the winning bidder was based in germany(honest!)

enoch

I dont disagree with sniping. As an Ebayer, you just have to put in your maximum bid with 20 seconds or so to go. If they snipe higher than this, its just that they were willing to pay more. Putting in your highest bid will at least give you the satisfaction in the thought that they were merely willing to part with more money.

Dave