Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Karasouli Military Cemetery – Replacing the Grave Pedestals

berniehudson

Hello

Here's as photo of the work being undertaken by The CWGC to replace the pedestals in Karasouli Military Cemetary

Bernie

post-38799-0-71452700-1378735366_thumb.j

To quote from the CWGC August 2013 newsletter ...

Pedestal Replacement in Greece

Begun in June, the project to replace all of the pedestal grave markers at Karasouli Military Cemetery in Greece continues.

The cemetery’s 1,426 pedestals have deteriorated due to age and extreme weather conditions. Work began with the removal of all plaques and pedestals, and the project is scheduled for completion at the end of October this year.

http://newsletters.wizontheweb.co.uk/t/ViewEmail/r/A285C4B9F51BA9542540EF23F30FEDED/8D75B322F5E2C3139A8E73400EDACAB4

The Salonika Campaign Society tour led by Alan Wakefield is due to be in the area close to the end of September. We will probably be able to report on progress.

Keith

The Salonika Campaign Society tour led by Alan Wakefield is due to be in the area close to the end of September. We will probably be able to report on progress.

Keith

You were with me when I was there last year - did you think they were sufficiently decayed as to need wholesale replacement?

I must admit that I was surprised when I read about this in the WFA bulletin. I didn't look at the supporting pillars, only the actual tablets with soldiers details, and no, I agree they seemed in much better condition than many that I have seen on the Western Front. Maybe it is a case of a high level decision that was made without any scope for flexibility in the run up to the centenary.

Keith

I'm possibly (almost certainly ) a mite old fashioned in expecting a graveyard (and gravestones) to reflect the passage of time - in a way isn't that what it's all about?

• 4 weeks later...

I'll post a pic later, probably tonight of the cemetery without a single complete headstone. Very strange.

Keith

• 5 months later...

New pedestals installed but with temporary markers

post-38799-0-13083400-1395856471_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

It supposed to be ready next September

Well done CWGC for doing this work on your limited funding.

Harry

Taken 6th April 2014. Near enough complete - only a handful of green temporary inscriptions left.

post-69042-0-38219500-1398002267_thumb.j

Thanks for the picture

The last info I saw from the CWGC said they were about to start the replanting work

Bernie,

The replanting had already started when we were there, but the torrential rains had managed to mess with their watering system, so I think fixing that was the priority at the time.