The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mystery service number

mtaylor

I recently acquired a button stick with broad arrow mark and 1918 date. It is stamped 961853 BD or more acurately 96 18 53 B D. Can anyone sugest an attribution? Bedfordshire? Border? I tried searching Ancestry using what appears to be the service number without success.

Possibly patent number with makers initials, however the number (albeit without the spacing) was part of the renumbering block 960001-965000 which was allocated to the 2nd London Divisions 7th Bde RFA (TF). Re searching for numbers on MICS - If a man saw no overseas service he would have no medal entitlement and so no MIC

jon

Jon - thanks for that. I've noticed on Ancestry that service numbers starting 9618** seem to all be RFA so 7th Bde is likely. I'm sure that the stamped numbers are a service number as I've seen several similar ones. I suspect that 'BD' is the owner's name. Thanks also for the reminder about no overseas service = no medals - that had slipped my mind. Doh! And of course a 1918 button stick may not have been issued for some years after manufacture.

Mike