Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seconded or attached to Australian EF?

HERITAGE PLUS

I have been assisting a friend in researching his Great-Great-Father's War Service.

Leonard J. Carter, 7362 2/Wilts was wounded at Reutel in 1914 and invalided home. He later served in the Labour Corps in Egypt (Pte. 358718).

My friend has found in his Great-Grandfather's effects an AEF badged labelled 'Dad's AEF Badge seconded from 2/Wilts'.

This raises some questions for me.

Was it common for men to be seconded/attached from British Units to the AEF?

If he was so seconded would he have worn an AEF cap badge or is this simply a souvenir of his time with them?

Is it possible that he was attached to the AEF in a labour capacity having been re-classified from A1 to B2?

Any help would be gratefully received as this is out with my expertise.

Dave

• Admin

Dave

One of the men killed at Fromelles in 1916 was seconded from the Pembroke Yeomanry so it was possible to move across.

I can't help much with the other questions but it might be worth looking for a service record (http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx) using the NameSearch option. THere may have been one created to cope with the admin - pay, conduct etc.

Glen

Thanks Glen,

I'll give your link a try.

Dave

Frev

Thanks.. you are of course correct. I wasn't thinking when I typed. The family's label says AEF but they have the Australian badge,

Dave